When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is it MY Fault....

-

Are animals REALLY allowed on walking/bike paths?
They sure are. Here in DuPage County ILL, we have lots of trails and the dog walkers routinely let their mutt crap on them without cleaning up after them. Almost all the dog walkers have an extra long leash. Maybe that's the problem. With a shorter leash they can better control their dog and lead it off the path to go or to pull out of the way for a bike. Almost none of the bikers say, "On your left" when attempting to pass. I don't hear them until I hear the crunch of gravel when they are passing. Some pass so close, I've almost been hit by the bastards.

Just my 2c...
A bike/walk path should just be for bikes, fast walkers, runners, joggers and last 3 with a jogging stroller. NO casual walkers, texters, yappers, slow baby strollers, animal walkers... only serious exercisors, otherwise just use your own sidewalk or street. Make sense?

Feed’m some shoe to the head and keep rolling! V/r Shawn
When I was a kid I had an old Cushman Step Through Scooter. Every time I'd ride through the little town this danged dog would take off after me and yap at my foot. One day I noticed a car parked alongside of the street. (This was the days when cars had REAL bumpers) I started kicking at the dog with my foot to keep his attention. Then I swung in as close to the car as I dared and the danged dog went headfirst into that chromed bumper.
That dog Never chased me again... :D

Let the stories begin!:p Owners as stated above are the problem. Many people with dogs should not own them, that's for sure. I used to ride past this house on a hill on the way to a trailhead here and this little mean-arse dog would every single time chase me for 100 yards while trying to draw blood. It got so bad I had to teach the little bastard a lesson. I was ready for him the next time and had my foot unclipped from my pedal on the side he always came at me from and was able to clock him square in the ribs with a perfectly timed kick that send him flying through the air into the bushes screaming bloody murder....he never chased me again...Stupid owner...

Well, I'm over sensitive right now.
Earlier this year a dog crashed me and I was ailing somewhat for a couple of months.
I was on a park trail behind my house, as I do every morning. It was in the spring, and before sunrise. A woman had the practice of bringing her two doberman size dogs into the park, and unleashing them to let them run. (Park rules say keep them leashed) This had been going on nearly every morning for well over a year. The two dogs paid me no attention. No Problem! I would tell her 'Good Morning' if she were close as I passed.
But then earlier this year, one of the two started to notice me. It started to watch me as I rode past. Then one day, it ran behind me for a ways, I could see it in my helmet mirror. Then some time later a man was out with the dogs, and that day, the one ran toward me and crossed the trail about 10 feet in front. He called it to him, and made some apologetic comment that I really couldn't hear.
Some weeks later, the gal was out with them, and one of them was around 15 feet away from the trail, and looked up and saw me coming. Before I could react, it ran full bore toward me and my front wheel hit it in the hip area. The force of that large (80 lb) running dog knocked the front wheel out from under, and I hit the ground on my right shoulder at around 10 or 12 MPH.
I don't think the dog was being aggressive, I really think it wanted to play???? It had seen me there hundreds of times before that!
The bike wasn't hurt. I had to re-straighten the handle bars, a very little road rash on the brake levers that I didn't notice until much later, but a good bit of road rash on me, and a very hurt shoulder.
She ran up to see if I was hurt. At that point I didn't want her attention! I told her THOSE DOGS SHOULD BE ON A LEASH!!! She quietly said she knew it! :(
I picked up the bike and got on to see if it rode ok. It did!. At that point I was still numbed!

I rarely ever see her in the park any more and when I do...the dogs are leashed!
I did not need any medical attention...but I was sore for quite a long time after. At my age, healing is sloooow!

So, right now I am very Dog Sensitive!!!

Back