When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is it that my 56 American 2 speed coaster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
i should have guess the ones i saw had been modified likely, mine is all original. another dumb question... what ballon tired bikes had hand brakes 55-57?

A lot of early middleweights that had the two speed manual bendix also had a front caliper....Phantoms of that era are the only ballooners I have seen with optional hand brakes.

The '54 & '55 Jaguar HWs came stock with a three speed hub and hand brakes. This Jag was the only Schwinn to have a HW frame and fork drilled to take caliper brakes.

Drum hubs with hand brakes could be added to pretty much any heavyweight Schwinn as optional equipment, these drum brake add-ons seem to turn up most often on the higher end bikes like Phantoms and B-6s.

Cheers, Geoff

The '54 & '55 Jaguar HWs came stock with a three speed hub and hand brakes. This Jag was the only Schwinn to have a HW frame and fork drilled to take caliper brakes.

Drum hubs with hand brakes could be added to pretty much any heavyweight Schwinn as optional equipment, these drum brake add-ons seem to turn up most often on the higher end bikes like Phantoms and B-6s.

Cheers, Geoff

You mean I wasted money on your book when I could have waited around forever for this question to come up on the CABE. Seriously, it's a great fact filled book, easy to read, and I've used it many times in the short time I've had it.

Last edited:
when i get to my frame collection i know i have at least 2 1956 dated heavyweight frames, both with hand brake ribbons. my 55 Corvette also has a heavy weight frame, with a ribbon. The last one i think is a 56 also.

Back