When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Not Disclose What You Paid?

-
I've paid too much, I've paid too little, I've charged too much, I didn't charge enough. I've had stuff given to me, and I've given stuff away. If I can get my hobby to pay for itself, well that's great. If not, no big deal. In it for the love of old bikes (and of course to annoy people on the CABE).

So the op was about posting the price of what you paid for your new acquisition. Referring to posting the great deals that he has gotten. Not about removing sold prices. That is another thread. For me I just want to see pics of the bike and read about the back story of the bike. Images and history. I also love seeing the transformation from rough to showroom shine. Beautiful workmanship. But boasting about the great deal is just that, boastful.

I don't usually blurt it out but I have no problem telling what I bought or sold something for if asks and as said nobody's forced to buy at whatever price your asking, some do for money some do it for fun, I just have a problem when making money is sole priority over the hobby especially when a bike falls to the fate of a butcher & parted for Money!

So the op was about posting the price of what you paid for your new acquisition. Referring to posting the great deals that he has gotten. Not about removing sold prices. That is another thread. For me I just want to see pics of the bike and read about the back story of the bike. Images and history. I also love seeing the transformation from rough to showroom shine. Beautiful workmanship. But boasting about the great deal is just that, boastful.

Nope. Not boasting about a great deal I might have gotten...showing how lucky I was to have gotten the great deal. They don't come along that often. Boasting would be buying something for a dollar and telling everyone you sold it for a hundred dollars.

From now on, I'll keep my "deals" to myself and just show a story behind it along with photos. I do this as a Hobby...not as a business. Just a friendly sharing of info that included pricing among like people. Guess I was wrong. 😕

Price is only a concern to the newbie.
Now that I know a decent CWC tank taps out at $200 and a good set of fenders can be gotten for a hundred or less there are fewer and fewer secrets.
I’m not sure I fully understood the question now:
I’m not interested in what someone paid for an item. Whatever deal we can make or get is to our advantage.
I’m interested in what the item(s) sells for.
There’s a difference.
Now if I can wrap my mind around prices of long spring seats I’ll be all set.

My least favorite question at a car show- referring to my antique motorcycles I usually just don't answer- more and more I'm getting that question posed rudely by fat little kids who watch too much TV

Should you feel guilty when you ask how much for a bike and they say $25 for what you know is a $2K bike. Should you school them and pay more or just grab the deal and walk away, I've done both.

Back