When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people part out??????

-
This was originally just a "frame", so I built a bike around it....

Attachments

• DSC00553.JPG
    DSC00553.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00555.JPG
    DSC00555.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00556.JPG
    DSC00556.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 62
I'll bet you would love that black/white tank that a guy had up for trade here recently that was dead ass NOS PERFECT for this bike.

This Entire Post Is Very Sad

Although I agree that it is necessary to part out bikes, this post still saddens me for several reasons, which I'll list.

1. The idea of decimating a piece of history shocks the conscience.
2. What if the bike you're parting out is the last one of its kind or color. Sort of like killing the last of an endangered species.
3. What makes someone elses bike (being restored), better than the bike you are parting out? Have you no loyalty? No Conscience! Get with it man, a bike is a living breathing thing! It has already survived this long, it still wants to LIVE! How would you like to be parted out?

OH THE HUMANITY

F.A.

I try to save my money and only buy complete original bikes because they are a much better value in the long run. But I must admit, after you've cleaned 'em up as much as possible and taken 'em for a spin, they're not really that much fun anymore. They're just one more thing you have to move and worry about getting damaged. Its a sad truth that the real thrill in this hobby is finding those bits you NEED to finish that project. That's why we behave like a pack of starving wolves whose had lamb tossed at us when a nice bike gets parted out on the classifieds. We don't need another bike, but we do need that seat etc... Entropy is law of the universe, were just accelerating the process. Did we answer your question yet?

I try to save my money and only buy complete original bikes because they are a much better value in the long run. But I must admit, after you've cleaned 'em up as much as possible and taken 'em for a spin, they're not really that much fun anymore. They're just one more thing you have to move and worry about getting damaged. Its a sad truth that the real thrill in this hobby is finding those bits you NEED to finish that project. That's why we behave like a pack of starving wolves whose had lamb tossed at us when a nice bike gets parted out on the classifieds. We don't need another bike, but we do need that seat etc... Entropy is law of the universe, were just accelerating the process. Did we answer your question yet?

pretty much nailed it....

Get real! You find a bike minus the correct seat. You find the seat, but you are wishy washy about installing it on that bike...because it was taken from a donor bike? It's parts.

Why is there this sense of guilt? NO one should feel ashamed for making a bike complete from parts, simple because they are against parting them out. You can't turn back the hands of time and trace back where all these parts came from and try to reassemble all the bikes that were disassembled to make it right. It's silly.

This is a hobby, and some even view it as a passion. Just feel good that if you know for sure that you have a completely original bike with all it's originally mounted factory pieces that you are extremely lucky to have it.
Do with it as you feel.

I'm about creating nice bikes, wherever the parts came from. If there ARE parts available, lets put them to use. Again, you can't turn back the hands of time. Why do you think establishments like "Memory Lane" are so vital and popular?

Someone here said we are not owners of these classic bikes, we are just the caretakers for the next generation. I wish we could all keep that in mind before we dissect complete bikes.

Yes we are caretakers. But, even though we may be seperating parts of bikes by parting them out. We are also helping another person complete their vintage bike. So nothing in the "community" is lost. Also, its not like we are just throwing the bicycles in a burning barrel and lighting them up in flames. We are taking pieces from a bike, (that may or may not be complete), and selling to someone else, so they can complete their bike. Even if the parts are put on to a bicycle they werent meant to be on.... 50 years down the road, that will make the hunt for that one piece that much more enjoyable, and isnt that everyones most enjoyable part of this hobby?
So even though one bike may be losing a part, another bike will always gain one. Even Steven.

I would like to add a couple of thoughts if I may. I don't know how many of you have worked in a bicycle factory but I have. Yes, you guessed it, Columbia. Anyway, what you see is parts...lots of parts...shelves and skids of parts. It is really the luck of the draw as to which frame a particular seat or crank or handle bar gets attached to. This is the way it was way back then as well. Those Torrington Script Handle Bars could have ended up on any one of thousands of different bikes back then. Ending up on a different frame now as long as it is the correct style is no insult to history. On the contrary it is helping to preserve it if that is what it takes to bring a correct example of a particular model back to life.
Yes, we all feal that knot in the pit of our stomach when someone parts out an original and complete bike that is in good shape. I know I do. If I do not anti-up and buy that bike complete I have nothing I can say about it though.
Remember folks, this is supposed to be a fun hobby and bicycles in the end are just material objects. Try to keep life in perspective and don't get too uptight over the small details.

When some folks have so much passion for their hobby such as restoring, collecting and riding bicycles and may not have the disposable income, they sometimes will part out a perfectly good bike in order to afford their next planned project. Others are in it just for the money. In any case it's a very common practice. There is a bicycle buiness in PA that's a good example of this.

Last edited:
Back