When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why so many December ‘80 frames?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dizzle Problems

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’ve owned and had a lot of Schwinns through the years, as I’m sure many here have. It seems there’s an unproportional amount of December 1980 or ‘MR’ frames out there. And many of them have headbadge numbers dating through ‘83.

Does any one definitely know why?

I’ve been told that Schwinn saw the writing on the wall so to speak, and just started banging em out to prepare for the fall of the Chicago factory, and stored them to sell through the next few years. Any truth in that?
Maybe the serial number tool got stuck on MR?

Maybe I, and friends I’ve talked to about this have a knack for finding Dec ‘80 frames? Just seems odd.

Seems there are thousands of the MR serials. The writing on the wall for sure. After the 1980 strike Schwinn decided to go down another path.

Sept. 26, 1980
CHICAGO -- The Schwinn Bicycle Co. has agreed to negotiate a contract with its workers for the first time in its 110-year history, spokesmen for both sides said Friday.

The agreement averted a strike set for noon Friday by the 1,400 workers at the North Side plant.

The agreement was reached at a Thursday meeting with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Carl Shier, a United Auto Workers international representative to Local 2153 which represents the Schwinn employees, said Schwinn representatives for the first time agreed to begin formal contract negotiations.

Schwinn officials had refused to recognize the union, charging a March 28 election conducted by the National Labor Relations Board making the union the employees bargaining agent was fraudulent.

Shier said a contract negotiating committee of the union local was working Friday at hammering out the details of a contract proposal to be presented at an initial negotiating session next Tuesday.

John McDonald, a company attorney, said the firm made its decision several days ago to begin contract talks and drop its appeal to the NLRB's Washington office contesting the union election.

Seems there are thousands of the MR serials. The writing on the wall for sure. After the 1980 strike Schwinn decided to go down another path.

Sept. 26, 1980
CHICAGO -- The Schwinn Bicycle Co. has agreed to negotiate a contract with its workers for the first time in its 110-year history, spokesmen for both sides said Friday.

The agreement averted a strike set for noon Friday by the 1,400 workers at the North Side plant.

The agreement was reached at a Thursday meeting with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Carl Shier, a United Auto Workers international representative to Local 2153 which represents the Schwinn employees, said Schwinn representatives for the first time agreed to begin formal contract negotiations.

Schwinn officials had refused to recognize the union, charging a March 28 election conducted by the National Labor Relations Board making the union the employees bargaining agent was fraudulent.

Shier said a contract negotiating committee of the union local was working Friday at hammering out the details of a contract proposal to be presented at an initial negotiating session next Tuesday.

John McDonald, a company attorney, said the firm made its decision several days ago to begin contract talks and drop its appeal to the NLRB's Washington office contesting the union election.
Thank you, I was actually hoping for a reply from you. That all makes sense.

I’ve owned and had a lot of Schwinns through the years, as I’m sure many here have. It seems there’s an unproportional amount of December 1980 or ‘MR’ frames out there. And many of them have headbadge numbers dating through ‘83.

I’ve been told that Schwinn saw the writing on the wall so to speak, and just started banging em out to prepare for the fall of the Chicago factory, and stored them to sell through the next few years. Any truth in that?

Maybe I, and friends I’ve talked to about this have a knack for finding Dec ‘80 frames? Just seems odd.

I am not sure how any of those MR frames got fabricated, because the factory workers were on strike during that month! Did Schwinn have a scab labor workforce in place building bikes during that time? That's hard to say, and not in any of the articles I have read on the issue? But I do know that the Cruiser bikes were in high demand back then for us. They were one of our best sellers at the time because of our close proximity to the beach, and the South Bay Strand and bike path.

I am not sure how any of those MR frames got fabricated, because the factory workers were on strike during that month! Did Schwinn have a scab labor workforce in place building bikes during that time? That's hard to say, and not in any of the articles I have read on the issue? But I do know that the Cruiser bikes were in high demand back then for us. They were one of our best sellers at the time because of our close proximity to the beach, and the South Bay Strand and bike path.

View attachment 1247713

The MR serial stamped head tubes were not used to build frames in 1980 along with many earlier made and serial stamped head tubes. They were all used in building frames in the first quarter of 1981. The assembly workers were on strike but the ones still working were making parts. Schwinn was not Union and I'm sure the ones that didn't want to join the Union were still working. I really doubt production came to a complete shut down.

Quote:
In October 1979, Edward R. Schwinn, Jr. took over the presidency of Schwinn from his uncle Frank, ensuring continuity of Schwinn family in the operations of the company.[44] However, worker dissatisfaction, seldom a problem in the early years, grew with steep increases in inflation. In late 1980, the Schwinn Chicago factory workers voted to affiliate with the United Auto Workers.[45][46] Plant assembly workers began a strike for higher pay in September 1980, and 1,400 assembly workers walked off the job for thirteen weeks.[47][48] Although the strike ended in February 1981, only about 65% of the prior workforce was recalled to work.

Last edited:
The MR serial stamped head tubes were not used to build frames in 1980 along with many earlier made and serial stamped head tubes. They were all used in building frames in the first quarter of 1981. The assembly workers were on strike but the ones still working were making parts. Schwinn was not Union and I'm sure the ones that didn't want to join the Union were still working. I really doubt production came to a complete shut down.

And you have documented proof of that? It is obvious that someone was building frames and complete bikes during the labor strike by the serial number, and date on my head badge!

Last edited:

From looking at production dates in serial numbers a while back, The plant closes after Christmas and there's a rest before it cycles into the next quarter Quite possible the strike was planned to utilize Schwinn's usual quarterly periods.

I think that if you're on top of when different paints appear as in 1981 cruiser, Chestnut is on many 80 frames but most all, at least, are 81 badges.

Or, my 81 24 down cruiser frame dates April 80 (GR) but, badge is July 81.

When frame made while badge date is closer to paint or busier production quarter.

Back