When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the hate for ladies' bikes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Why are Bluebirds worth more than a Typhoon? Both are boy's bikes. It isn't fair. I want my Typhoon to be worth as much as someone else's Bluebird. :rolleyes:

It really isn't that hard. Most collectors are men. Men want boy's bikes because thats what they grew up riding. Nice boy's bikes are harder to find...It is all supply and demand. Less quality boys bikes available and more demand mean higher prices.

I have one girl's bike. A mint '40 Huffman tanker. Truth be known, I got a killer deal on it and bought it to use for parts for a boy's '41 Huffman tanker that I am restoring. When I got it, it was so nice, I decided to keep it. It's been sitting in the basement since I got it.

Why don't I ride it? Because I don't want to. I have several boy's bikes that I do want to ride. Growing up, I didn't play with Barbies and I didn't ride bikes that were designed for a girl. You'd have to ask my parents why they bought me boy's bikes. I guess they were dead set on raising a misogynistic a-hole like all the other parents in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Like, we don't have a place for a Kotex Maxi-Pad either.....

So when you see a man using something that was designed with women in mind that means there's something wrong with that man? Does a woman riding a men's bike "not look right?" Why exactly wouldn't you ride a girl's bike? It's still a bike, it functions exactly the same as any other bike, the only difference is that it's shaped differently, much like many men's bikes are shaped differently. Are there men's bike that you "wouldn't be caught dead" riding because they don't look right?

Last edited:
The Kotex reply works especially well here too.....

For me, girl's bikes are more comfortable to ride; it's easier to mount a step through frame because I don't have to swing my leg over the top tube, and that can be difficult for me due to back problems. Also I prefer to ride girl's bikes because I don't believe in rigidly defined gender roles e.g. girl's bikes are only for girls. A man can ride a girl's bike if he chooses, just like a little boy can play with Barbie dolls if he chooses, or a little girl can play with G.I. Joes if she chooses.

Waterland, why are you so desperate to prove everyone here is a "misogynistic a-hole" (your words) because girls bikes are worth less monetarily than the comparable boy's bike? A dozen people here have given you the answer you asked for as to "why" they are and yet you don't seem to want to accept those answers.

The fact is girls bikes are not, and probably never will be worth as much as comparable men's bikes. Many have expressed the healthier attitude about it and use this fact as opportunity to add more bikes to their collection at bargain prices.

Accept it as a good thing and be happy.

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. This is a discussion forum, and I'm initiating a discussion. I got the answer to my question in several posts, and many people have made valid points, I accept the answers given. It wasn't my intent to make anyone angry or invalidate anyone's opinion, so I'm sorry if my responses were perceived that way. What makes me angry are the truly sexist comments about maxi pads and dress wearing, that kind of stuff is unacceptable to me, and I feel the need to stand up for the values and principles I believe in.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just stating things from my perspective. Maybe my choice of words was a poor one, but it got my point across and started a discussion, which was my intent. I appreciate everyone's input, even though I don't agree with some comments. I enjoy this hobby very much and I will continue to enjoy in the way I choose to do so, as should everyone.

'Maybe my choice of words was a poor one, but it got my point across and started a discussion, which was my intent. '

I think the part where you asked if members were A Holes is what ticked off some members. The facts are what they are and that doesnt make anyone a A Hole.

I have no problem at all riding my Canadian ladies bikes, they are workhorse plain Jane bikes just like their male counterparts. Where I do have a problem is the Monark I bought for my daughter..... a little too blingy for me.

vincev said:
I think the part where you asked if members were A Holes is what ticked off some members. The facts are what they are and that doesnt make anyone a A Hole.

Again, not my intent. The trouble with the internet is that words on a screen aren't conveyed the same way they would be if said aloud. I tend to speak what's on my mind, so I'm sorry if anyone here was offended by my comments, I wasn't calling everyone here an A-hole, my comment was meant to convey the feeling that I have that some bike collectors dismiss girl's bikes because they are too manly to own something designed for a girl. Again, not directed at anyone in particular and not meant to encompass the forum as a whole, but just my perception, and I am entitled to my own perception as is everyone else.

Meanwhile, let's continue to enjoy our bicycles, whatever type of bike you wish to enjoy and how you wish to enjoy it. I love my girl's bikes, you can love your boy's bikes, and others can love both types of bikes.

I don't hate ladies bikes.
In fact I love ladies bikes.
I love to buy ladies bikes for cheap, strip the parts I need and then throw the carcass in the dumpster.

I haven't actually done that, but I just thought it sounded so Sons of Anarchy.

Back