When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was schwinn a marketing genius picking bicycle names?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
S

skindel

Ok the schwinn american was an "all american" made bicycle that is to say made with only american parts---so i am wondering did he just grab the attention of every sports fan in the usa who followed any all american game and then to go one step further it seems the model was f-14 - a well know farm-all tractor--need he just grab the attention of every american farmer needing a christmas or birthday gift not to mention any patriotic person in or out of the service---and since scwhinn earned an E for excellence award during the war how is it that the military would go on to name a ship the USS American and use F-14's? any thoughts about any schwinn bike names?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alot of names used by schwinn westfield

were names that were popular in earlier eras- the story goes they figured dad or granddad remembered the name of THEIR bike so would buy...

i remember reading schwinn got in some trouble in regards to the american and for a time they werent allowed to use the 100% american oval sticker that came on the front chrome fender due to a couple parts not being american, i think it was the pedals and maybe the chain too, they were union made which i think was a german co., most bicycles had cool names the genius part was schwinn deciding to actually put the model name on the bicycle in addition to the brand name

selling bikes by design

ok so the first bicycles were known by the makers name but when did the practice of year model and name change start? was it the first schwinn motorbike? followed by the Aerocycle-then the new Motorbike followed by the autocycle only to be followed by the New cycle plane and then the roadster. Was schwinn selling bicycles or cars and planes?Or was he marketing bicycles as more than they were with bikes like the paramount and the hollywood did he plan to have actors who pretended to be something they were not endorse his bicycle?

were names that were popular in earlier eras- the story goes they figured dad or granddad remembered the name of THEIR bike so would buy...

attachment.php

1911 American DeLuxe (Consolidated Mfg built) (AJ Musselman Pres of American Motor Cycle Co)

attachment.php

model A

attachment.php

1911 American DeLuxe (Consolidated Mfg built) (AJ Musselman Pres of American Motor Cycle Co)

attachment.php

ok so weren't all these the so called standardized bicycles built the same year after year and do you think the schwinn company used the american name 50 yrs later refering to these thinking that was good marketing or called there bikes motorbikes be cause they were building motorcycles to? And in my first post i was kinda trying to make that link from the farm to the school and on to the military the little boy on the f14 tractor at the farm then the f14 bike in school and college and then flying an f14 to war and how everthing is marketed to inspire us or make us dream in our sleep.And even the military markets itsself to inspire

Last edited by a moderator:
Back