When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will 29s fit on 28 inch motorbike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

falcondave

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've found original 28 rims and tires to be rare and very expensive.I heard 29s might fit in the 28 fenders.Has anyone done this? Would love to see a pic.Does anyone sell a 29 coaster brake wheel set? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use 28" Raleigh wheels. They are 1/2" taller than the OG 28's. also, 700c wheels are 3/8-1/2" shorter than OG 28's. Both cheaper and readily available. :)

Motobike wheels

I use these 28 in European rims rigida-raleigh rims with the original hubs.a lot of company's make regular,colored tires.and they fit like a glove and ride like glass.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The modern MTB 29 size is the same as 700C which is the same as our old American 28 (single tube). So the answer is yes. Where you may have a problem is in the tire itself. The old American single tube bikes were made to fit 1 1/2" tires which is about 38 mm. Any tire larger than 1 1/2" or 38 mm might fill up the fender too much. The European 28" size is taller and in my opinion not a good option.

There is another option, which I like better. Challenge makes a sew-up tire called the Grifo wich comes in black or white and will fit the old American single tube rims.
http://www.challengetech.it/products/cyclocross/grifo-010/10708/en

Velocity Blunt 35!

I just wood grained these a couple nights ago. So far I laid down an almost-peach base coat and used a walnut stain for the initial grain. I'm going to stripe these too so I'm pretty much finished with the grain.

I used a very special tool in applying the grain. a 6"x6" section of Tshirt. I covered the rim pretty well with stain for the first go round, let it dry a bit and then kind of brush it with the t-shirt. random pressure is your friend. I didn't actually PUSH down while doing this but kind of made a "Brush" out of the square of material and made sure I followed the radius of the rim. They're not perfect, but they fooled some of my friends easily enough. I did a total of 3 coats with not a lot of change in darkness in between but the grain "matured" as I added more coats. If you apply to much pressure in subsequent coats, you'll take the stain off down to the base coat as it redissolves itself. I plan on a thread about this when I finish the striping. These will end up as distressed hopefully well used looking wheels for my Star motobike.

11617036053_2f512e4b68_b-1.jpg

Of course for the price of blunt 35s these days you could buy real wood clinchers in 700c. Below are CB Italia Viaggio in 700c with 700-38c WTB Pathfinder tires on them. They're supah nice!

9441531243_0882fff6c7_b-1.jpg

Re motorbike rims

Thanks to all the replies.Looks like I need some 700c rims.Did you guys respoke with old hubs? Love the woodgrain paint.Planned on trying woodgrain mine also.

Thanks to all the replies.Looks like I need some 700c rims.Did you guys respoke with old hubs? Love the woodgrain paint.Planned on trying woodgrain mine also.

I'm using old hubs in both my real wood wheels and my faux woodgrain alloy wheels. Newer hubs are usually wider and will stretch your fork or stays. If you jam a new front hub in your front fork you'll see that the surface where the hub meets the fork isn't optimal.

Great job!

Once again, goes to show how good you guys really are!
I could use a set on my rider majestic, all the look with none of the fragility.
When are you going to start doing these for everyone else?
I'm in for a set of alloy 700's in a birch grain.

Back