When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will ballon tires fit on a 1963 Schwinn racer 3 sp?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I put 26 x 2.125 tires on a 71 silver Racer and 26 x 2.00 tires on a 65 coppertone Continental. Also a 71 yellow Varsity, Schwinn S7 with 2 x 1.34 tire with yellow band 2 speed on the rear and 26 x 2.125 on front. Brakes won't reach, as they were made for 27" wheels, so 3 speed with coaster or 2 speed with coaster, or one speed with coaster are the ones I used. The cranks were an inch closer to the ground so I had to watch leaning over in turns.
View attachment 1144482

View attachment 1144483

View attachment 1144484
Did you have to do anything to the rear coaster hub? (as in get a longer axle?) I have a really nice Varsity that i want to make into a single speed with bigger (s7's or newer balloon rims)

Did you have to do anything to the rear coaster hub? (as in get a longer axle?) I have a really nice Varsity that i want to make into a single speed with bigger (s7's or newer balloon rims)

The axles are always long enough, it's the gap between the frame (stay) and the hub that needs to be done right.

On my Varsity and Continental, the yellow band 2 speed and 3 speed went right in and worked fine. The one speed on the Racer also went right in, but I think it started out as a 3 speed, not a ten speed, so the frame was already set for that hub width.

Depending on the width your one speed hub, there may be a small gap that you could remedy with just a spacer or a few washers. You could also adjust the stays, but I never liked tweaking a frame unless that was the only way. It will work though, squeezing the stays together to make up the difference, then straightening the dropouts so they align at the correct angle. Only on an old steel frames have I done that. Here's how I've done that in the past:

1. Put a piece of wood or something in between the chainstays and seatstays where the tire would normally sit, so that area won't bend.
2. Determine how wide the dropouts need to be to fit your hub perfectly.
3. Squeeze the dropouts together to that point, then release.
4. You'll have to squeeze them together again to go past that point in small increments until it springs back to the exact width you need.
5. To get the dropouts aligned exactly perpendicular (90%) to the hub, I use a large adjustable wrench slid over each dropout and then bend slightly to get the correct angle. See if the hub fits perfectly, if not, make the small adjustments.

They make an alignment tool also if you want to invest a little:
1582747764423.png

The lightweight 26" Schwinns used a proprietary size on their rims, and there is only a limited selection of replacement tires today. To get more selection you'll need to change wheels, or at least the rims.
If it's a 26x1 3/8 frame they will never fit. Frame is too narrow. Need at least a middle weight frame. Good luck. Razin.

Ah. So I’ll be ordering new tires when I need them? Good to know. Just got this bike. View attachment 1143859

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a really NICE Racer. It would be a shame to ruin it with balloon tires that won't fit any way. Try and find a balloon tire frame and leave this one as is. I am in the process of building up a 2 speed kick back around a Collegiate frame. Good luck and Ride on. Oh and welcome to the C.A.B.E. Razin.

Back