When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will S-7 Wheel Rims fit on an S-6 Size Bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tikibar

Finally riding a big boys bike
My daily rider is a '73 Schwinn speedster with 26 inch S-6 rims. I'd like to use the wider tires available for the S-7 wheel rims. Does anyone know if the S-7 rim will fit on a bike that takes S-6 wheels, like a Speedster?

I'm not talking about the size of the rubber tires, the question is about the width of the metal wheel rim and the axle. Not sure if the wider rims will clear on a Speedster frame or if the caliper brakes will open wide enough.

Hoping for a smoother ride on bumpy trails, thanks!

Yes, they will fit fine, including the fenders. You will have to change the calipers though. This is a 21" Traveler frame.

IMG_1450.JPG

Thanks! That's good news. Do you know what calipers you changed to?
A standard set of Weinman middleweight calipers (3.1) will work, but I purchased a complete set of calipers, levers and cables aftermarket that cost less than 1 used caliper would have cost me. I can dig up the site if your interested. I normally would only use correct Schwinn approved parts, but this bike was just a put together from spare parts bike that turned out to be a great rider.

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

Thanks again, if you happen to have that info on the calipers that would be great!

Nice to know the S-6 rims can be swapped out for S-7. There's a 26" x 2" x 1¾" tire for an S-7 rim that I want to try, that is wider than the regular 1½" tire. Hoping it will give more of a balloon tire ride, without the bulk or width and an S-2 rim.

Beautiful red Traveler/Racer you have there. I think these bikes are overlooked and make fantastic riders. Good exercise too :)

The place I ordered the brakes from is thebikeshop.com, I think they are somehow affilliated with the old Niagra cycle. I ordered the alloy set which seems to be a direct copy of the Weinmann. I have the 26 x 2 x 1 3/4 whitewall Kendas on two of my middleweights and have been very satisfied with them. They do fill the fender wells up very nicely and make for a smooth ride. I have a 70 Racer & a 57 Traveler which still sport the 26 x 1 3/8 tires, I just thought I'd try the S-7 wheels on this one. I really enjoy riding it.

My daily rider is a '73 Schwinn speedster with 26 inch S-6 rims. I'd like to use the wider tires available for the S-7 wheel rims. Does anyone know if the S-7 rim will fit on a bike that takes S-6 wheels, like a Speedster?

I'm not talking about the size of the rubber tires, the question is about the width of the metal wheel rim and the axle. Not sure if the wider rims will clear on a Speedster frame or if the caliper brakes will open wide enough.

Hoping for a smoother ride on bumpy trails, thanks!

I am in need of a nice set of S-6 rims if you are selling yours

Back