When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINDSOR Competition...just picked it up!

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
OK, I got lucky once again on Craigslist. This was listed for only 2 hours when I saw it, and it was only a little over a 30 mile drive from my house.

When I got to the house, it turned out that it was being sold, so this was one of the items that were not going with the family to Florida. I met with the son, and he said it was his father's bike that he purchased new in the '70's. It was well taken care, but hadn't been used in many years and just left to languish in a nice 2-car garage all its life.

From I can see, with the exception of the dried out tires, it's as it was built...100% original right down to the very pliable, soft hoods. Shimano 600 groupo all around, with Campagnolo wheels! And to my surprise, a leather Kashimax Super Pro saddle.

I had a Windsor like this many, many years ago, but I'm not sure which model. And finding info on these bikes is like pulling teeth. Not all that much exists...except that there were built in Mexico and that the designs of the bikes were based on Cinelli bikes (because Windsor hired an ex Cinelli employee to do their bikes).

Anyway, extremely light weight bike with beautiful components...including chrome lugs.

Oh, and another deal...$65...:tonguewink:. Enjoy these "as purchased" photos!

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6274.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

-----

Here is the manufacturer's catalogue page for the Competition model of 1978.

It is Suntour/Sugino kitted rather than Yoshi.

Specification states frame Columbus DB tubing.

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Windsor-78/windsor3.jpg

You will be able to determine a specific annum for thine example by reading the codes on its fittings.

If you do not mind a stroll over to BF there have been a number of threads thither upon this model.

Hubs mismatched: Record model rear with Nuovo Tipo model front.

-----

Thanks Roger!

I also found a 1979 Catalog, but again the Shimano 600 doesn't appear in it for this model. Also, mine looks like an early head badge...so probably early 70's.

I'll still take the two Campy wheels , though, lol.

I did check BF, but nothing is an exact match. Can't wait to start!

And I just noticed...the front derailleur is a Dura-Ace, not a 600. Boy, they really mismatched things on this bike!

Nice bike! Even though some mismatch at least they are all high quality components and all of comparable style /make. I’m sure in the time it takes me to clean a crankset you will have finished the entire bike;)

Nice bike! Even though some mismatch at least they are all high quality components and all of comparable style /make. I’m sure in the time it takes me to clean a crankset you will have finished the entire bike;)

Lol! This is what I like about being retired and working on my Toys. I can take as much or as little time in any given day to play with them. I do sometimes get carried away and don't realize how long I've been working on them. All I need is coffee and my stereo playing and I'm a happy boy!!! :sunglasses:

BTW...what I thought was pieces of rust on the hubs turned out to be dirt! First attempt was a light spray of WD-40 on them, and it wiped right off with a paper towel. Hubs are in mint condition! :D

-----

Guessing perhaps 'LXXXI for your example.

Have good fun exploring La Tierra D' ACER-MEX! ;)

-----

-----

Guessing perhaps 'LXXXI for your example.

Have good fun exploring La Tierra D' ACER-MEX! ;)

-----

I guess 1982 sounds good for it. Ironically, the year my daughter was born.

And, what I didn't really take note of, were chrome dropouts on the front fork and rear. And it's all polishing up!

Back