When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windsor Profesional information?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Given the "portactena" rear drop-out I would date it at no earlier than 1977, but most likely '78 to mid 80s. I am not familiar specifically with the bike's livery or changes, if any, through the years; or of a Pro's features compared to other models they produced. If the PAT. 84 RD is original to it than it certainly would fit as being circa '84/'85; I doubt those drop-outs were used much later than that unless old stock parts.
OK, thanks. That'll help me for the introspective as we develop the exhibit and for locating it in a catalog. Wouldn't have thought it was so late...

@whistlestop that particular Campagnolo drop-out was introduced in their 1978 catalog supplement. It may have been available to some builders in 1977. Seeing that all the cable guides are braze-ons, and having the bottle cage mounting also tends to put it in the later 70s to early/mid '80s. The front derailleur style was not introduced until around 1980. A 4 hole cage version was available in '78 and was found in the same catalog as the drop-outs, but was discontinued about a year to 2 years later due to design issues. If the rear derailleur is original then that would be your best gauge as to the manufacturing date.

Last edited:
-----

if you determine cycle's hubs to be original the date marking on the inner face of the axle lock nuts should be of help

Campag hub axle lock nut date .jpg

-----

@whistlestop that particular Campagnolo drop-out was introduced in their 1978 catalog supplement. It may have been available to some builders in 1977. Seeing that all the cable guides are braze-ons, and having the bottle cage mounting also tends to put it in the later 70s to early/mid '80s. The front derailleur style was not introduced until around 1980. A 4 hole cage version was available in '78 and was found in the same catalog as the drop-outs, but was discontinued about a year to 2 years later due to design issues. If the rear derailleur is original then that would be your best gauge as to the manufacturing date.
OKgreat. I'm not a Campy fan so this'll help as I move forward.

-----

I have wondered about the lugs used on this Acermex import? Bought this Carabela because of the beautiful head lug.

View attachment 2017312

lug pattern an Agrati one

do not have name or number for it

on cycling fora it is sometimes identified as a Bozzi pattern as it appears in the Bozzi catalogue of 1950 which has been posted online

Bozzi a reseller rather than a fabricator of fittings

situation similar to the Umberto Dei & Doniselli catalogues

bozzi - agrati lugset .jpg

the seat lug in this illustration is Malaguti style
Agrati offered seat lugs in three choices:

a) bare, without binder ears or Malaguti plugs

b) with binder ears and without Malaguti plugs

c) with Malaguti plugs and without binder ears

Acer-Mex emplyed the b) option

the fork crown on your Carabela is Agrati pattern "BRIANZA" and is item N. 000.8038
this crown was also offered in a version without cutouts which was used widely by Torresini (Torpado)

Agrati BRIANZA crown without cutouts on chrome Torpado  .jpg

here is a lug assortment illustration from the Bozzi catalogue of 1950

Bozzi lugs:crowns .jpg

pattern shown in upper left is "BRIANZA"
those shown in upper right are "AM"

---

your Carabela appears to be the model parallel to the Windsor Carrera Sport of the early 1970's

the frame of the cycle exhibits the odd combination of an Italian threaded shell which is 68mm in width and a BSC threaded steerer & headset with an .833 inside diameter & stem

the MAEDA housing stop is a helpful dating clue;
by about 1974 this was revised so that the stops are sockets rather than simple flats which often got bent

MAEDA downtube cable stop, late type a) .jpg

MAEDA downtube cable guide stop, late type b) .jpg

existance of the Carabela product range was a means for the factory to pack more product into a given market

after a distributor's salespeople had gone through their territory and signed up as many Windsor stockists as they could they then would recover the same territory signing up Carabela stockists from amongst those retailers who had not opted for Windsor

-----

Last edited:
Back