When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINGBAR - Silver King vs. Wards Duralium Silver Streak?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
I recently acquired a 1937 (or maybe '38?) M-137 "Wingbar" Silver King, it's my first prewar Monark. I do own two postwar Hextubes, but aside from my Gumby Green, '50s Firestone Super Cruiser (sold a few years ago), I don't have any experience with Monarks, especially the prewar bikes like the Wingbar, 26X, Flocycle, etc.

The bike on its way to me is badged "Wards Hawthorne" which has prompted me to look into the difference between Monark Silver King wingbars, and Wards Duralium Silver Streak bikes? I can see from the ads that the Wards bike doesn't have a rack?

Does anyone know any other details that differentiate the two bikes besides head badge and rack (or no rack)?

I'll admit, I'm a bit confused as to why Monark would "private label" that bike to Wards, it was a very unique and identifiable bike design, one would think they would want to sell their brand, is anyone here privy to info. on how/why Wards was able to offer this bike under their own badge?

Please forgive me if this topic has been covered before... links are welcome.

Thanks!

Silver King Wig Bar.jpg

Wards Wing Bar.jpg

I have had silverking wingbars with 3 different stems- also look at the drawing of the SK centerstand- not!

From what I can tell the Wards bike was slightly stripped-down, or the down market model; it came stock with no rack and standard looking gooseneck (it might be a "putter" type, I can't tell from the image), and a horn button mounted on the bars next to it, this probably reduced the price by a few dollars.

In the Wards catalog on the next page it shows the gooseneck-speedo as an upgrade as well as the chain guard with the holes in it - they are listed under "dress up your bike". Rack is also an option whereas it looks like the Silver King model came stock with the rack, and maybe came with the "winged" gooseneck standard. Blown up, the ad looks like the Silver King model has little horizontal wings on the neck... either way it looks like the gooseneck-speedo was an upgrade sold separately. I'm looking for an ad for the 1938 Silver King M137, I'm wondering if it shows the gooseneck-speedo as standard equipment?

Last edited:
Back