When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard of Oz Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
T

Turtle

So I'm curious. Does anyone know what bicycle Almira Gulch is riding in the Wizard of Oz? This was about the only picture I could find.
GulchBicycle-1.jpg

Cheers,

Paula (Turtle)

I heard somewhere before that it was an Elgin. I never really looked at it to see. I could be wrong.

There is a guy here in San Diego that has the actual bike from the movie... But was there more than one bike in the movie? I was led to believe the one I saw was Dorothy's. He also had one of Pee Wee's and Elvis Presley's old schwinn.

Movie was made in 1939 so the bike is 39 or earlier. Looks like rod brakes to me too.........

Wizard of Oz Bike answered

Had a time finding the answer to this question but this seems correct. Safety Model 1900 Orient bicycle , made by Waltham, the top tube forms a letter J as seen in the last part of the video clip. The bike model would have been correct for the period of the actual books writing. Chain guard looks like a poor fitting add on, probably just added to keep her loose skirt from catching during the filming.

clip of film on yt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf5soimGEpE&NR=1

cyc_orient.jpg

sweet whitewalls! nice pic without the rider, those tires look beefier than usual but they have to be 28" singlestubes right?

that scene took place in the 1890s so in order for the bike to be "period correct" it would have to be older than 1900, but then again, movies are never "spot on" when trying to deliver "historical accuracy".

P 96 Gale farm (1).jpg

that front tire looks like a 26" us royal in a 28" Columbus fork with a long reach roller cam brake

Back