When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard of Oz Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have reviewed the film again and clearly observed in 2 specific scenes (riding to farm), each from a different side of the bike, the same small tube connecting the "J" top tube to the downtube as shown in both the Orient and Crescent examples.
I was not able to discern if the seat stays were bolted on or not from any footage, but the seat stays are straight like the Orient example; unlike the Crescent's stays which appear to be offset inward somewhat ('monostay' style?) unlike the movie bike(s?).
Still no help with the headbadge; and when riding away from the farm, it appears that there is no badge at all (or very faint) as seen from the left side. I could clearly see a semblance of a badge on the bike when ridden towards the farm, although I could not discern its actual shape, design, or brand.

In my film copy Dorothy is wearing black shoes for a couple frames in between shots of her wearing the ruby shoes so anything goes in film making (not counting Dorothy's magical 'haircut' scenes).

Is is just me or does it look like the front brake set up is like an English style pull brake (not sure of the term). Looks like a reversed Y in front of the fork.
Thanks for those reference examples. Your photos are great and certainly give me a clear view of the seat stay configuration. I would seem that the men's seat cluster is more comparable to the Oz bike than the completely different design used on your ladies model. I am surprised that the design differs to such an extreme between your bikes in that frame area. Good badge shots, need a better view from the movie to compare.

As far as the brakes go (only shown on the farm ride bike, none shown on the tornado fantasy bike); they would appear to be a much newer add-on cable operated caliper style brake. It is definitely not a roller/rod brake set-up.

Last edited:
So the real question is... who won the race?

104425130_2686148758324475_8972080310147809543_n.jpg

Thanks for those reference examples. Your photos are great and certainly give me a clear view of the seat stay configuration. I would seem that the men's seat cluster is more comparable to the Oz bike than the completely different design used on your ladies model. I am surprised that the design differs to such an extreme between your bikes in that frame area. Good badge shots, need a better view from the movie to compare.

As far as the brakes go (only shown on the farm ride bike, none shown on the tornado fantasy bike); they would appear to be a much newer add-on cable operated caliper style brake. It is definitely not a roller/rod brake set-up.
when you closely look at the picture and examine the sprocket, it is not Orient, or at least not a 1890's Orient sprocket ..... the Orient sprocket is very distinctive
i don't have a clue what later Orient sprockets look like

when you closely look at the picture and examine the sprocket, it is not Orient, or at least not a 1890's Orient sprocket ..... the Orient sprocket is very distinctive
i don't have a clue what later Orient sprockets look like
The Oz bike chainwheel looks the same or similar to the Orient example shown in post #6. That example seems to match every feature that I have seen on the Oz bike(s) except the presumed added chain guard and front brakes.

Back