When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard of Oz Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The frame has a distinct J top tube but it meets the down tube different than the other frame examples in this post.

View attachment 1435210
I will check the video again to see if I can make out any support strut between the two tubes. It may depend on the actual frame size (if there were different sizes) as to how those two tubes are/aren't connected. Also, I will see if I can tell if the seat stays are bolt on or not. These bikes are out of my knowledge and experience range; but I will learn more just trying to educate myself on this one particular bike.

This is a little off the track, but most people look at the Wizard of Oz as a delightful children's story. Some have postulated that L. Frank Baum's book is actually a political satire and allegory of late 19th century America and the upheaval of competing monetary policies. "Follow the yellow brick road" is a reference to the gold standard. Dorothy represents the naive American people. William Randolph Hearst is the Scarecrow. John D. Rockefeller is the tin man running out of oil. "Oz" is an abbreviation for ounce used for measuring gold and silver. Anyway, it's an interesting read.

Interesting. Considering Baum was telling his children stories relating to "Oz" well before 1900 (when the book was originally published); and, I presume, was well before Hearst and Rockefeller had attained the level of prominence, power, and wealth that they had in the early 1900's; it becomes hard to tie together other than coincidence. Of course, I have no idea; I would be willing to read that theory and research the late 1800's histories of Hearst and Rockefeller. I have never read, nor seen it, but was not "Citizen Kane" a pseudo-fictional portrayal of Hearst? What time period did it cover? Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" has also been represented as a socio-political allegory. I just like a good read; plug for "Etidorhpa" (circa 1886, by John Uri Lloyd). If you've read it, or end up doing so; PM me with feedback. Sorry for off-topic ramble!

Last edited:
This scene was cut from the final version. Apparently there was a continuity problem so Pee Wee ended up on the cutting room floor…

Chain guard looks like a poor fitting add on, probably just added to keep her loose skirt from catching during the filming.
Margaret Hamilton, the actor who played both Almira Gulch and the Wicked Witch of the West, was badly burned during the filming of a scene of the movie. She sat out 6 weeks of filming. She certainly didn't need a bike crash.

Wait a minute... Pee Wee's bike has a skirt guard. Margaret is the one who needs one.
I think in later rolls, Paul Ruebens AKA PeeWee Herman was known to sport a skirt or two hence the skirt guard. He was just getting in some practice for the later roles. Love ya PeeWee!! Razin..

Pee Wee and his bike seem to be a little light in the loafers in the picture. Like he's not even touching the ground.

Last edited:
Back