When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Womans Schwinn Frame, 1940s?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gkeep

I live for the CABE
Hello Cabers,

I don't need another project, but one found me. Wednesday I rescued this frame at work from the debris box where large scrap metal is collected from DPW trucks. They dump trash from homeless camps, illegal dumping, abandoned piles on the streets, etc. Timing is everything and I spotted the frame and then the skip tooth chain ring and thought, NOOOO, it's going to follow me home!!:eek:

It's got newer Schwinn forks, a handlebar stem I can't ID and some nice Wald handlebars. I've researched the serial number and it pops up as 1952 or 57 but that's when they were on the dropouts so this one is before 1952. I was thinking 46 based on some serial number research but it does not have the 46 tapered kickstand. Frame might be pre-war with odd parts added over the next 50 years.

Under two re-paintings there is some original paint. The older repaint was a nicely done red and white. But i really like the original light blue and cream, probably has 70-80% left if I'm lucky. Now I just need some rims, seat, a chain and my wife or daughter can have a woman's skip tooth Ratrod.

Looks like it might have been badged BF Goodrich from the paint shadow. Anyone able to ID the handlebar stem? IT looks like a blackout part from WWII. Any guesses on the frame date? I might have to pull the crank for a date when I bring it home.
Schwinn Frame.jpg
Schwinn Serial BB.jpg
Schwinn Headbadge.jpg
seatclamp.jpg
OG Paint.jpg
OG Paint 1.jpg
Unknown Stem.jpg

With that serial number it looks to be an April 1952 model. Small chainguard so maybe a hornet, the stem looks like a pressed metal aftermarket model, possibly a Wald? Nice save !

April 52 is what I found too but then other sites say they stopped stamping the bottom bracket in 1951 and 1952 serial numbers should be on the frame at the drop outs. What ever date it was made it may make a nice patina rider.

I'll go with a 1946. Dog leg crank? Let us know what's on the crank.

That looks like a bike I sold to one of my wife's coworkers at Bank Of Alameda years ago.I don't remember the year of the frame though,but swear it's the same frame at least.

That looks like a bike I sold to one of my wife's coworkers at Bank Of Alameda years ago.I don't remember the year of the frame though,but swear it's the same frame at least.
Now that would be funny Brian! Or sad if it was stolen and ended up in a SF homeless camp.:mad:

I'm driving in tomorrow so I can bring it home to work on the paint removal. The overlay spray paint is so brittle it can be popped off with light pressure from the rounded edge of steel tool. One of the tricks I learned working on old 1870s-1940s boats and ships was to use a large screwdriver on a crusty steel stanchion, cleat, etc. and just rub, the paint would flake off, quick scrub with wire brush and it was ready for the primer. For long skinny parts you get a couple feet of chain and take a couple turns around the piece, grab the two chain ends and pull back and forth. Peel that old WWII era paint right down to the galvanized iron. Great when you don't want to mess with the noise and vibration of the needle gun.

Brought the bike home and pulled the crank this evening. It has the telltale part number 9620-A and the Schwinn cross in the circle on one side, AS&CO of the other. So post war years but before they started dating cranks again in the 50s.

Back