When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood Fender Before/After

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tommydale1950

I live for the CABE
A few pictures 1898 rear wood fender before cleaning and after...Tom

Attachments

• IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4821.jpg
    IMG_4821.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4822.jpg
    IMG_4822.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4826.jpg
    IMG_4826.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4850.jpg
    IMG_4850.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 147
Beautiful job. Yes, tell us what you used for finish? Boiled linseed oil cut with turps? Thinned spar varnish?
I've worked on numerous large 19th century wooden sailboats. So satisfying bringing old wood back like that.

Gary

Early Fender

I first just wiped it down with a damp cloth [water] to get the dirt/dust off it . Then 320 paper by hand light pressure. You could probably use a sander ,but very risky on a piece like this. I then wiped it down with a damp cloth again [water] to remove dust .a note here water will raise the grain so use it very sparingly.To finish it I used paste wax applied with 0000 steel wool and waited 5 minutes ,buffed it with a soft rag and then repeated the wax treatment .You could get better results using a lot of products available today ,but this works for me and is very inexpensive .I liked the results and will use it again.Special thanks to Dave @ Wheeled Relics for making it possible ..Tom

Great finish choice. That hand rubbed wax can really bring the beauty of the grain out. Like a wood turner holding a chunk of beeswax on a piece in the lathe and just using the palm of their hand pressed against the turning wood to warm the wax and finish, the original hand rubbed finish.:cool:

Gary

For getting rid of the sanding dust without raising the grain either use a commercial tack cloth, or wet your rag down with alcohol. That's a nice looking fender!

Back