When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood racing rim ID help please

-

American Vintage Bicycle Supply

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Any ID help? Can't read a name on hub or rim. The rim is peaked. The spokes have been welded together. 1" wide. This all points to racing just what era? Maker?

nu7udure-1.jpg

ajeresar-1.jpg

e3a3ugyt-1.jpg

eteta9yg-1.jpg

me9u8u9y-1.jpg

I would also guess Fairbanks ...... But it is difficult to say for sure without some sort of remnant of the makers mark. This is just based on its peak design - though realllly tons of the rim makers in the day made this style of rim including lobdell. I would place it most likely between 1900 - 1920 as a pure guess. Since the spokes are tied it could be a racer as you suggest - but plenty of guys who were non racers used this method too.

wood-rims.jpg

Late 30's early 40's lobdell peaked racing rims

Lobdell peaked40superior17.jpg

Last edited:
common

it is a common practice to tie and solder spokes , my 1889 ,overman wheel co victor ordinarys have tied and soldered spokes ,done at the factory

New owner with ID

I purchased this wheel from DoubleNickle, (Hopefully) to use on my 1917-22 INDIAN factory narrow tread track bike. BSA components throughout. Hub turned out to be BSA 36 spoke narrow job! Yeah,Baby! Rim appears to be weird size possible stayer? I dont care, cause I gots me a BSA front track hub! Thanks Tyler,, Walter in NJ

Tied and soldered spokes were common on many bikes, not just racers in the first 2 decades of the 20th Century.

Back