When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wood rim bike id help 1898

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks.....it is in transit to my house and I am excited to get it torn down....never even seen a ND type A hub.....might have some questions.....

Thanks.....it is in transit to my house and I am excited to get it torn down....never even seen a ND type A hub.....might have some questions.....

It's not a Model A but was the ND model just prior to the Model A sold only in 1902. Completely different design. I may have some diagrams on it. Ask away on questions, I'll tell you what I know. Excited to see it here on the CABE.

Gerry: I have one with what appears to be the same frame, different crankset and hubs, rear is fixie, BB housing is stamped 1888; No headbadge, it had been nickel plated then painted. I had previously posted requests to ID it on this site and on Wheelmen. Unfortunately, have not yet been able to determine maker. I have located two similar for sale on Ebay and another from an unknown internet site, which has a headbadge that reads US (model 8) see http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/dobie45/US MADE UNKNOWN/. As well, Ross Hill, Wheelman site, suggests that the patent date is Nov 13 vice Nov 18 or 10 as I had thought. Unfortunately, the patents Ross suggested do not assist. Contact me at [email protected], maybe we can come up with an identification. Here is last post from Wheelmen

Posted - 11/07/2012 : 22:07:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier in the year, I posted a request to identify this bike http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/dobie45/US MADE UNKNOWN/ Finally got around to checking this bike over. I cleaned the BB housing and enhanced the digits; imprinted is "PAT'D NOV181888" or "NOV101888", I believe the former rather than the latter. I have attempted to look it up online in the US patent registry available to the public, but the records available are not complete. Could any of you folks who have access to the patent registry records assist? As well, I added pix of 2 similiar bikes from ebay without headbadges and one from internet with a headbadge that reads US Model 8. The 2 on ebay have serial #s stamped under the BB whereas mine has the patent date. See additions to my sub album http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/dobie45/US MADE UNKNOWN/ . I would like to try to determine what this old fella is. As always, your assistance is appreciated. I'll also post on the CABE. Cheers, Wayne

Ross Hill

116 Posts
Posted - 11/07/2012 : 23:00:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne,

The patent date would be November 13, 1888. Patents are only issued one day per week. These are the bicycle patents issued that day:

All these patents appear to be earlier technology then your bike. The last one is the most likely.

Ross

Gerry: I have one with what appears to be the same frame, different crankset and hubs, rear is fixie, BB housing is stamped 1888; No headbadge, it had been nickel plated then painted. I had previously posted requests to ID it on this site and on Wheelmen. Unfortunately, have not yet been able to determine maker. I have located two similar for sale on Ebay and another from an unknown internet site, which has a headbadge that reads US (model 8) see http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/dobie45/US MADE UNKNOWN/. As well, Ross Hill, Wheelman site, suggests that the patent date is Nov 13 vice Nov 18 or 10 as I had thought. Unfortunately, the patents Ross suggested do not assist. Contact me at [email protected], maybe we can come up with an identification. Here is last post from Wheelmen

Posted - 11/07/2012 : 22:07:48

Earlier in the year, I posted a request to identify this bike http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/dobie45/US MADE UNKNOWN/ Finally got around to checking this bike over. I cleaned the BB housing and enhanced the digits; imprinted is "PAT'D NOV181888" or "NOV101888", I believe the former rather than the latter. I have attempted to look it up online in the US patent registry available to the public, but the records available are not complete. Could any of you folks who have access to the patent registry records assist? As well, I added pix of 2 similiar bikes from ebay without headbadges and one from internet with a headbadge that reads US Model 8. The 2 on ebay have serial #s stamped under the BB whereas mine has the patent date. See additions to my sub album http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/dobie45/US MADE UNKNOWN/ . I would like to try to determine what this old fella is. As always, your assistance is appreciated. I'll also post on the CABE. Cheers, Wayne

Ross Hill

116 Posts
Posted - 11/07/2012 : 23:00:30

Wayne,

The patent date would be November 13, 1888. Patents are only issued one day per week. These are the bicycle patents issued that day:

All these patents appear to be earlier technology then your bike. The last one is the most likely.

Ross

I have seen Meads with nickeled frames and painted over, you might want to try to find a Mead catalog or three to look at, it has some similarities to another Mead I am looking at

Last edited:
FedEx truck delivered the bike today......better condition than I thought.....everything was dis- assembled and went back together easy....amazing for how old it is........put away for the holidays. Will start thread showing the build..:):):):):):)!!!!

Back