When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood rim color illustrations from 1918!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I was searching the Internet Archive for information about my project bike, when I came across this illustration in a 1918 trade catalog from Canada Cycle & Motor Co. It was so interesting that I just had to share.

bicycleaccrepair00canauoft_0055.jpg

Check out my thread in restoration tips:

Those painted wooden rims are examples of what I sometimes refer to as the lost art of real craftsmen. Some guy was probably paid a minimal wage to do this. I watched the linked video and have to add that there are many advances in tapes when it comes to striping. An automotive paint jobber will have 1/8" plastic tape that can be manipulated into any shape you want and unlike masking tape, it leaves a very fine edge. Lay it down, then lay down some narrow painter's tape next to it. The painter's tape you can get today leaves a much finer edge than the masking tape of yesteryear.

One thing I learned from a striper some time ago is to use your fingernail to press the tape down. There is no friction between a fingernail and the tape like there is between skin and tape. You can really smoothe out wrinkles and bubbles. Put the fingernail of your index finger on the tape then put pressure on the pad of your index finger with your thumb. Slide it along the tape working out any wrinkles, etc. Try it. Works well.

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regular scheduled program.

Back