When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood Rim Finish?

-

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Good evening, Quick question. I just got a new set of wood rims from Noah Stutzman and they look beautiful. Does anyone have any recommendations on finishing. I am thinking varnish but wanted to get some other opinions from folks that are more knowledgeable than myself.

Additionally I can't decide if I should try to recreate some patina on the rims by before finishing by rubbing on a light stain. All input appreciated.

Varnish will give a nice warm glow to the wood that will look appropriately old vs. modern finish, but it can be a little tricky if you're not familiar with it. However, if you thin it appropriately and use foam brushes with thin coats and consistent temp/humidity for curing, it should come out great. The kayak below on the left is varnished and the right is automotive clear coat over the same epoxy-covered okoume marine plywood. It's even more obvious in person, but the varnish seems to have more "life" to it. A less durable (probably won't matter), but cheaper and easier to use appropriate alternative is shellac, which comes in amber or clear. Amber will darken the wood a little, which may be enough to get the effect you want on its own. There is also a kind of varnish made for antiquing that cracks as it cures to replicate age. Another thing you might want to do for aging is to stain a section of the arc of the wheels—on one side only—a little darker than the rest as if the bike had sat somewhere for years where light had hit one particular part of the wheel(s) (most wood darkens with UV exposure over time). Mostly, though, the old wood wheels were originally painted, not natural finish, so it will be speculative, anyway.

316754_10151067873223191_405005485_n.jpg

What about for an original crusty specimen? Hoping to pic up a set of Noah's rims for this G&J, but thinking a finish will take away from the as-found look. Is there harm in leaving them untreated? Will they eventually absorb moisture & warp?
20161209_110440-jpg.jpg

Wood likes a feed ( see link above ) - If you plan to ride her.....But, as they will be new and fresh - try it! ( Why not! ) It's a bit like untreated wood on the side of new buildings. It will change colour with age and exposure. If you choose Ash you might get that cool silver that architects around the world love. I do not see why the integrity would be compromised - at least in the first few years. Warping might be an issue - though, unlikely if you keep them true and they are not exposed to extremes on a regular basis. An experiment......Yes. Keep in mind they will get stained by the elements very quickly. This also may add to the patina you are looking for or could go terribly wrong and look like crap. Nothing a little sand paper could not remedy. Pictures over time on the cabe would be nice.

Back