When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood-rimmed....but what is it? Rocky Mountain Roadster?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The letter stamped above the serial numbers on the bottom bracket is a capitol D.
Could this be for the Davis Sewing Machine Co.?

I do believe this is more than likely a Davis Sewing built frame. As to who put the badge on it is a different story. Mead was known for buying stripped down frames from several different manufacturers. Same with Sears Roebuck and the hundreds of jobbers in the country at the time.

I think I read that around 1/2 the bikes sold in the 1905-1910 era were sold do jobbers. This meant that only 1/2 of the bikes were factory identifiable. The rest were private labeled or mail order brands.

Ed Berry, Jr. on The Wheelman forum posted a photo of a head post with the Rocky Mountain Roadster badge. Hopefully he may shed some light on the mystery.

The Tiger has to be the closest resemblance.
There were so many bicycle builders sharing parts and infringing on each others patents around that period of bicycle manufacturing that so many look similar. I
have been spraying all of the fasteners with Rust Blast for the last several days.
I hear some folks swear by Kroil Oil.
Hopefully all of the fasteners will be loosening soon.
I'm still searching for period Majestic Standard rat traps.
My first project will be glass bead blasting the frame and seat frame.
Then spray it with epoxy primer, fill and sand.
I'm going to first measure all of the pin stripping before all of this.
One of the nice things about this bike is that the nickel plating shouldn't cost a king's ransom.

Last edited:
Greg,
Hope it looks as pretty as the Tiger catalog picture.
I am planning to use the Italian carbon lined wooden rims with Electra Amsterdams.
The paint will be black with gilt pin-stripping. Just like the original paint scheme.
I don't think that I will be using the Brooks saddle, maybe a Persons.
I'm not even sure if the saddle is a Brooks. I'm going to take a photo of it and email it to Brooks for ID. It may be a Persons?

Back