When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood rims and tires?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It’s a Mead Ranger. According to what I’ve learned from others on here, it was built by GWM in 1915-17. At this point, I’ve been able to break her down, strip off the top layer of paint and back down to the original paint job. Rebuilt the pedals this week and polished up the crank. I’ll work on the BB and headset next. Hoping to save the rims and find tires to mount to eventually ride it.View attachment 1729764

View attachment 1729767

View attachment 1729768

View attachment 1729769
Today’s project was to clean up the bottom bracket pieces. First time working on bearings that apparently cannot be removed from the races. The bottom bracket shell as it looked before the over paint was removed.

E16D8E6C-015B-4D64-98CA-A84BFAC99862.jpeg

91C739E8-3312-4524-B280-7ABA53251A2A.jpeg

Today’s project was to clean up the bottom bracket pieces. First time working on bearings that apparently cannot be removed from the races. The bottom bracket shell as it looked before the over paint was removed.

View attachment 1730184

View attachment 1730185
I remove and replace bb like those. Harbor freight has a set of inexpensive pliers with needle attachments. They sometimes have a small hole on each side of the retainer clip gap so the pliers can fit and compress out the gap. I’ve drilled small holes in a front hub bb clip that had no holes and then removed the clip. The spring steel is very hard to drill. You might only have to drill part way through to get enough purchase to compress the spring. I’ve twice found these slightly bent, once in a bb, once in a rear hub. I speculate that these had been previously repacked. They are quite easy to straighten.

No such holes, but thanks for the tip. Considering how much riding this bike will get, I think I'll just leave them intact and pack them with fresh grease. Not my normal practice, for sure, but I think it's the best course of action in this case. Thanks again for the insight.
~Chris

No such holes, but thanks for the tip. Considering how much riding this bike will get, I think I'll just leave them intact and pack them with fresh grease. Not my normal practice, for sure, but I think it's the best course of action in this case. Thanks again for the insight.
~Chris
Here is a hub I’m rebuilding today. I drilled holes part way through the clips. The right hand clip has only one partial hole and I could still compress it enough for it to come out.

Here is the spring clip pliers, I paid about $5 for them.

Oddly the rear hub had holes in the clips. Notice the original rotted leather seal in the upper part of the photo. I had to make new ones.

Finished rebuild with new ball bearings and homemade leather seals.

Last edited:
Back