When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood Wheel tire mounting

-

mike j

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Posted yesterday on Wood Wheel Wednesday. The question for Thursday is; I picked up a pair of 28" red single tube tires marked Universal Tire Company Elizabethtown. They are solid re-pop's. One is on a metal clad hoop, the other was loose. After a lot of heating, prying & cussing was able to get the one onto a wood hoop. Has anyone had any experience with these, or similar, and have any tips that may help getting the other one off the metal clad & onto a wood hoop. I think that they are beautiful, authentic looking tires but a handful, to say the least. Not looking forward to round two. Any input would be appreciated.

Had a similar experience. Got 'em on wood hoops
with the help of CABEr, Shoe3.

Warmed and rotated each (one at a time) in the oven
with the door open. Do not fold and try to fit these
into an oven. They will break.

We finally got the tires on the rims.

If I had to do it all over .. i'd place one tire at a time
in a large cotton bag ... a big pillow case --- toss the
unit into the clothes dryer for some time ... then,
when more than warm ... toss them on the rims.

Some things are always gonna be difficult.

..... patric

After warming them up, start mounting the tire and tie as you go along with small diameter rope or clothes line. That will prevent the tire from slipping off the rim. When you have the tire almost on the rim you will need a tire iron to pry and stretch it on the rim. Dont use a screw driver, the sharp edges will cut the tire or rim. A flat piece of steel with smooth, rounded edges works best.

Round two. Thanks for all the GREAT advice from everyone. Polished up the pry bar, & have all other implements ready to go. Will post finished project on Wood Wheel Wednesday when it gets unlocked.

DSC02283.jpg

Clean well, spray John Deere "Ultra Guard" let soak in sun if possible, spray more, soak in sun, heat in hot bath water (use boiling water some as well), take out of water and spray again, mount immediately to rim... it WILL take amazing amount of strength to do this. So take a deep breath and give it all you got. You will not get a second chance until you have rested a day or more.
CAUTION: Ask you Dr. if you are physically up to this task before attempting. (Really).

Thanks Brian, The first tire went on pretty much the way you described. The second one, possibly because it was already mounted on a metal clad until about five minutes before I put it in the tub, and I was ready for it, actually went on easy. Go figure, though it does have this weird chalky film on it now.

Thanks Brian, The first tire went on pretty much the way you described. The second one, possibly because it was already mounted on a metal clad until about five minutes before I put it in the tub, and I was ready for it, actually went on easy. Go figure, though it does have this weird chalky film on it now.

yea... "Bathtub ring"...lol.

Back