When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wooden Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

spencehouse

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi all,

Looking to order a set of wooden rims for my toc bike project from Noah Sturtzman and wanted to double check what to order before I spend the $. I want to use them with tubes and tires and will be using ND front hub and either ND d or Morrow rear hub, all 36 hole.

What I'm thinking to order is a set of 700c maple wheels, 36 hole. Is that it or am I missing something?

As a follow up, should I try to lace these myself or send them to someone and who? How would I get the right length spokes too?

Thanks for all your help, newbie here.

Jeff

You will want to be specific about the profile you are looking for. For example - here is a profile picture of the Sanremo ( CB Italia ) & Velocity P35....he has made many based on both of these clincher profiles. If you want a diff width you will need to specify. At the Bottom I have included the profile of the Bacchetta ( also CB Italia ) - Just to show you an example of another profile. Keep in mind the tire size you are going to use and make sure it will fit. For example I have 635-40's on my Pierce - But they do not fit through my Racycle frame. Double check before ordering. The other thing to keep in mind is time - Mt Stutzman can take some time to deliver..... Well worth the wait - But if you are in a Hurry try the two Italian makers.... CB italia & Ghisallo - both will ship to you quickly.

Spoke length will depend on your hub.

Also you could just ask for 700c clinchers - not be specific and get a surprise - that works to.

San-Remo-sezione-con-misure-jpg4-300x257.jpg
Sanremo2.jpg

clincher-jpg-300x176.jpg

Size: Ertro 622; 700 C; 28″ x 1 5/8 x 1 1/8. ERD: 616 mm. Weight: 535 grams Width: 25 mm. Thickness: 22 mm Number of Holes:28, 32, 36,40 Wood type: Ash and Hickory Tire: Clincher from 23 to 28 wide Brake Pads: all Types - See more at: http://www.cbita.it/?page_id=114&lang=en#sthash.sOJLYve6.dpuf

P35-500x410.jpg

Here is another profile and shows you the difference in the outcome of how the rim looks. Theses look cool on Balloon tired bikes.

sezione-bacchetta-con-misure-jpg1.JPG
Bacchetta1_1024x1024.jpg
bacchetta_rev1_02-jpg1.JPG

Size: Ertro 622; 700 C; 28″ x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8. ERD: 616 mm. Weight: 490 grams Width: 35 mm. Thickness: 21 mm Number of Holes: 28, 32, 36, 40 Wood type: Ash and Hickory Tire: for pneumatic/Clincher from 35 to 50 wide Brake Pads: all Types - See more at: http://www.cbita.it/?page_id=112&lang=en#sthash.gupxB6jG.dpuf

Last edited:
Thanks Filmonger!! I didn't realize there was so much to this. I just left Noah a message as I'm in no rush (I say that now, but spring is coming). I'm going with 700c, clincher, P35, 36 hole in either maple or Hickory.

Still time to change it up if others have any advice!

Filmonger, I'd love to see that Racycle, some day I hope to own one.

The other thing to keep in mind is tire pressure....... most wooden rims that have a clincher profile can only take 50-60psi - otherwise you risk splitting the rim or worse. Not a big deal if you are not on the bike at the time - but if you are riding it can be disastrous. Noel makes rims with an aluminium insert - he subs these inserts out....but this will allow you to run higher tire pressures and give you slightly more choice in the tire dept. Ghisallo make a Carbon insert as well also allowing for the higher tire pressures more suited to modern tires. In your case you might want to ask Noel for the insert. The pis below is a Stutzman with metal insert P35 profile. The Other is Ghsallo with Carbon Insert.

SAM_1595_1024x1024.jpg
fotooptionalcarbonio01.jpg

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the pics! That is a good point as I will be riding on them. I really like them both for different reasons: Sturtzman for traditional technique, craftsmanship and old school problem solving; the Italian ones for the high tech solution and weight savings. I think I'm going Sturtzman as I'm old school and they will both look great and be safe!

I appreciate you thoughts and the pictures. I hate to get something that is either the wrong thing it is something I won't be happy with.

I've ridden the CB Italia (Viaggio) rims nearly 1,000 miles and I was NOT nice to them. They held up great except for one broken spoke. They will need some truing after you ride them for a little while as things settle into place. Building them wasn't much different than any other wheel. I didn't get the carbon or metal lining in mine (actually bought them from filimonger) I think I kept the PSI to below 56 which wasn't bad. They ride nice! I would like to try stutzman's rims as some point.

The other thing to keep in mind is tire pressure....... most wooden rims that have a clincher profile can only take 50-60psi - otherwise you risk splitting the rim or worse. Not a big deal if you are not on the bike at the time - but if you are riding it can be disastrous. Noel makes rims with an aluminium insert - he subs these inserts out....but this will allow you to run higher tire pressures and give you slightly more choice in the tire dept. Ghisallo make a Carbon insert as well also allowing for the higher tire pressures more suited to modern tires. In your case you might want to ask Noel for the insert. The pis below is a Stutzman with metal insert P35 profile. The Other is Ghsallo with Carbon Insert.

View attachment 296300View attachment 296301
WHERE CAN YOU BUY IT, SUCH RIMS ...???

Back