When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wooden wheel schwinn the world i.d. help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hotrod62

Finally riding a big boys bike
TRYING TO PUT A YEAR ON THIS OLD SCHWINN HAS A BLACK MORROW HUB THAT HAS CLIPSE MACHINE DIVISION
MADE IN ELMIRA NY USA .36 13 AND ON THE BOTTOM OF FRAME THE SERIAL # D12549 I THINK THEIR IS A WAY TO DATE THE BIKE BY THE HUB NUMBER ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS...
DSCN1265.gif

DSCN1271.gif

Not sure but if the hubs are Blacked out its a safe bet it was made during WWII. I do believe you can date it by the hub, not sure how. Are the rims 26 or 28"? Nice rig!

they are 28'' and i found the numbers N 1 on the hub i think this is# for the year

thanks for the info i thought the bike would have been a lot older with the wood rims.

Maybe leftovers because of wartime? A lot of weird things went on around that time as businesses scrambled to help the war effort, yet stay in business.

rather than something extremely unusual from schwinn isn't it just as likely the saddle and rims just came from a different, older bike? there's no trick to rebuilding a wheel (what's the vintage of the front hub? maybe that wheel was swapped intact?). i don't pretend to understand the logic used by whoever might have converted it, but stranger things have been done.....

maybe it was purchased by 1944's version of a 'retro grouch' or 'hipster' who preferred a leather saddle along with the ride of wood rims and single tube tires! :)

Last edited:
Back