When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Workshop rookie maneuver

-
any tube that stretches out in one spot like that was bad anyway. I recently got about 25 old tubes and I put air in a bunch of them to see if the held air overnight. none of them stretched in one spot like that.
You're right of course...I think he's trying to save a 40 year-old? tube. But that's the spirit here...we take on the rustiest bent remnants of a classic bike and try to restore it. So, it's not so different trying to save an old tube? And I mentioned the sleeve hack because I have done it successfully to save an old style valve.

yes saving a bad tube is different than saving an old crusty bike. if you ride your bike you need good tubes. they do make new tubes with the steel valves if that is important. a 40 year old tube is not worth trying to save. 60 - 70 maybe. 40 no.

and once again, neither one of those tubes is any good, unless you like walking home from your ride.

Another rookie maneuver, used compressor to push air into tubeless tire, typical ping ping ping of bead setting, pushed just lil too much air and BOOM! White sealant spew 10 ft radius, tingling fingers, and ears ringing. Happened only once.

Back