When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Workshop rookie maneuver

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

J-wagon

I live for the CABE
Well, rookie maneuver inner tube checking for leaks. Threw some air in and odd funny bulging shape in both tubes. Went to take pics and one blew up just sitting there in the sun. Rupture looks fatal. Oh well. Lesson learned, heat air can burst old loose tubes.

In good ol' save everything days....you'd cut the tube at the split and sleeve it with another section of a tube overlapping the tear by at least 3 inches. You'd have to be on a desert island to resort to that now! How desperate are you to keep the original valves? Maybe worth an experiment? I've done it....used wetsuit cement....no problem.

Wow. Tell me more. I have bunch of tubes with large splits. If I can use cement on multiple repairs, I'll splurge on it.
Well I don't have any pictures but the procedure is pretty much how I described it. You're likely near some wetsuit/surf board type shops that could advise on the glue....the thing is you're using more glue than you would to patch a hole so you need a can of glue that you can brush on.
I don't know if an automotive tire/tube repair tin of glue would be just as effective. AND don't inflate the repaired tube until it's supported by the mounted tire.....Common sense.
Hope that helps. Maybe other Cabers have experience with this tube saving trick. Mine have had no problem with 40-50 lbs. Good luck and please report back if you try it!
Kryn

Wow. Tell me more. I have bunch of tubes with large splits. If I can use cement on multiple repairs, I'll splurge on it.
A little tour through Google doesn't bring this hack up.....Like I said....it's a very old school 'save everything' solution. I learned it in Holland so maybe a holdover from when it was the only alternative before having to stuff straw in the tires.

With a pair of scissors, one might make sheathing pieces for a bicycle-lock chain; (so that the steel chain does not scratch the bike).

any tube that stretches out in one spot like that was bad anyway. I recently got about 25 old tubes and I put air in a bunch of them to see if the held air overnight. none of them stretched in one spot like that.

Back