When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth it or not?

-
the frame is set up for brakes, that alone makes the frame worth 50 to 100, but to replace all the rusted to hell parts gets expensive , unless you find a parts donor bike, around here you could buy a three-speed Corvette for 200 in decent shape, a single speed for speed cantilever Schwinn for around a hundred, I sold this 62 three speed for a hundred, with a garbage paint job & needing tires, the chrome cleaned up nice

3 speed schwinn middleweight.JPG

Last edited:
Make the seller an offer of $20 and mention you're trying to help clean up the mess in his yard.

Seriously, that's no regular Schwinn cantilever frame and it's worth more than the regular run of the mill middleweight cantilever.

Make the seller an offer of $20 and mention you're trying to help clean up the mess in his yard.

Seriously, that's no regular Schwinn cantilever frame and it's worth more than the regular run of the mill middleweight cantilever.
Can you tell by the serial number if it is a 5 speed frame ?

Can you tell by the serial number if it is a 5 speed frame ?

No, but I can see two cable guides, the Corvette 5 seat post decal and the top tube shifter decal. Almost blew out my eyeballs trying to check this one out. Still cannot read the complete serial number.

No, but I can see two cable guides, the Corvette 5 seat post decal and the top tube shifter decal. Almost blew out my eyeballs trying to check this one out. Still cannot read the complete serial number.
OK,I have to enlarge the pic.

The cable guide on the lower seat stay is pretty easy to see.

7a3c9316-a089-4009-b683-6d94f3383ddd-jpeg.jpg

If the head badge is in good condition, those fetch 50 bucks on eBay.

If you get it you’re going to be surprised at how nice the Schwinn chrome cleans up. Those Corvette fenders are stainless steel by the way, not chrome. That’s why they aren’t as rusty as the rest of the bike.
The restoration section will give you cleaning tips for the various parts, just stay away from rough steel wool, it’ll mar chrome or stainless. That’ll be a fun project as a starter, and maybe you’ll find he’s a decent guy too.

Back