When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth of Original Pattern One Folding Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Sell it in an auction or here on DOND. Guessing high or low doesn't accomplish anything. God bless
The OP's "first model" is clearly a superlative specimen.
What would one pay for a 9 out of 10 Autocycle sell for vs. a postwar B6? Original paint Aerocycle vs. one completely lacking paint and missing parts?
I would pay $3,500 easily for this bike but sadly my private messages have gone ignored 😥. There has been established precedent for this model selling within that range in similar condition.

Last edited:
The OP's first model is example is clearly a superlative specimen.
What would one pay for a 9 out of 10 Autocycle sell for vs. a postwar B6? Original paint Aerocycle vs. one completely lacking paint and missing parts?
I would pay $3,500 easily for this bike but sadly my private messages have gone ignored 😥. There has been established precedent for this model selling with in that range in similar condition.
I never received a private message from you if you sent one, sorry if I somehow missed it. Mike

The pics in the link on my original post is the bicycle i have. I purchased that exact bike R4154 after the photo shoot. That is the bike and it still looks the same. I purchased and imported the bike from Europe to the US years ago. I have all emails and papers. Even original shipping box.
I don't see your bike? Are you selling?

Assuming bikes were built with sequential serial numbers but not knowing if the first number was R1, R100, or whatever, there were over 5,000 early ones built. The double seat tube ones. I have two - the one below folded is SN 5XXX. Incorrect seat and rear wheel assembly. War Grade front tire, The one to the left of the sign is SN 12XX. All original and weathered including seat. War Grade tires. The silver one is a "late model" with the single seat tube. SN is 77XXX which might be the highest number known. Needs crank assembly, seat leather, and War Grade tires. I won't comment here on what I would sell these for but my guess is the one the OP posted ought to sell for $3,000 or more in the U.S. and maybe more in UK/Europe but I don't know the market there. I am in Northern California. This pic was from a motorcycle and bicycle display at our big military vehicle event and swap meet.

This is a good time to post the differences I know about between a very early bike and the more common early model (although any double tube bike is probably 10 times rarer than a single tuber.

The hinges on 12XX are made from pieces of angle steel, not castings:

This was the standard production set up - castings. This on the very late bike but are the same on SN 5XXX:

It would be nice to know the earliest SN that got the hinges made from castings.

T-bolt with straight rod welded across the top of the bolt head is a very early feature:

Standard method was rod went through a hole in the head and each end was bent up:

An early feature was the pedal arms were not reinforced early. A thick section was added later:
Here is my 12XX:

The 5XXX is the same:

This is how most look, this from a 37XXX SN bike. Pedal driven inboard of course. I don't have a correct crank/pedal assembly on my late bike but I'd probably buy that from someone for the right price.

There may be other differences, I am not a big student of these.

I hope the OP doesn't mind this being on his thread.

John

Hi John, @Houndsworth

Thanks for those additional details.

On the only list I'm aware of has one three-figure S/N recorded, but the list does not say the whether the frame is a twin tube, and the location of the number is such that it can easily be damaged.

This is the Captain Stevens list, which I assume you are aware of, since I think you and I are both on it (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back