When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth of Original Pattern One Folding Bicycle

-
Hi @101259MB, and welcome.

Including yours, I've now seen six or seven first patterns that I can think of. The first ever saw, some 25 years ago, belongs to a guy called Nigel Silver in Derbyshire, UK. There have been two good examples on this site, plus yours, and another three that I've seen on the UK show circuit over the years, although It could be that I have seen yours there, hence the six or seven.

And here's another I found whilst checking what I've written below. Frame only, though.

1660332982847.png

Yours is a nice example of a rare bike. It is not known how many were made before the 'Second Pattern' went into production. Probably between 4000 and less than 10000. It's even possible the numbers were mixed at the changeover. They were being made as fast as possible! Nigel's is R1179, and yours is R4154 which tends to support this. The one above is apparently R29531, which seems a very late number.

It is not known where the BSA Parabike R numbers start from, three figure serials have been reported, but it is not known what type of frame, and the number location on the dropout leads to them being damaged easily by the wheel nuts.

To add to the serial number mystery, I own an early second pattern where the number start with a T, T13439, photos here: https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/39224-bsa-parabike-with-odd-serial-number/

The grips are fragile, being made of Cellulose Acetate, and are often broken. The frames of these first patterns are also prone to breakage at the bb, where they are often rewelded. Original saddles in decent condition are rare too.

Technically being 5 or 10 times rarer than a second pattern, equivalent condition bikes should certainly show a noticable premium. I don't offer bike valuations, so I'll leave it at that.

Just for information, here is a better quality copy of the original photo used in the article you linked to. Original source not known, possibly IWM.

1660333512151.png

Best Regards, Adrian.

PS if 101259MB is a jeep, I own MB102519.

Hi @101259MB, and welcome.

Including yours, I've now seen six or seven first patterns that I can think of. The first ever saw, some 25 years ago, belongs to a guy called Nigel Silver in Derbyshire, UK. There have been two good examples on this site, plus yours, and another three that I've seen on the UK show circuit over the years, although It could be that I have seen yours there, hence the six or seven.

And here's another I found whilst checking what I've written below. Frame only, though.

View attachment 1678519

Yours is a nice example of a rare bike. It is not known how many were made before the 'Second Pattern' went into production. Probably between 4000 and less than 10000. It's even possible the numbers were mixed at the changeover. They were being made as fast as possible! Nigel's is R1179, and yours is R4154 which tends to support this. The one above is apparently R29531, which seems a very late number.

It is not known where the BSA Parabike R numbers start from, three figure serials have been reported, but it is not known what type of frame, and the number location on the dropout leads to them being damaged easily by the wheel nuts.

To add to the serial number mystery, I own an early second pattern where the number start with a T, T13439, photos here: https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/39224-bsa-parabike-with-odd-serial-number/

The grips are fragile, being made of Cellulose Acetate, and are often broken. The frames of these first patterns are also prone to breakage at the bb, where they are often rewelded. Original saddles in decent condition are rare too.

Technically being 5 or 10 times rarer than a second pattern, equivalent condition bikes should certainly show a noticable premium. I don't offer bike valuations, so I'll leave it at that.

Just for information, here is a better quality copy of the original photo used in the article you linked to. Original source not known, possibly IWM.

View attachment 1678522

Best Regards, Adrian.

PS if 101259MB is a jeep, I own MB102519.
Adrian,

thnak you for the information. I got the bike from Europe several yers ago. It was a barn find and is completely original, top to bottom, except for one cotter pin.

Jeeps, jeeps, jeeps..... yes 101259 is my jeep. DoD is 12/3/1941.

Hello;
I agree @johan willaert , they are not that rare. Myself, i owned a Pattern n°1 25 years ago, it is now in the collection 25 kms from my home.
At War and Peace show in Beltring UK, i saw at least 50-80 bikes (ex Danish army) 🙀 for sale see more.
Regards;
Serge
Ps: I still have have an early jeep engine N° 100870 DoD : 11-18-41

Last edited:
Hi @101259MB

Here's mine. The high windscreen is for convenience, I'm 6 foot 2, so can look over a low windscreen (which I have in storage).

It does not have the original data plates, sadly, but the British Army data plate is still there, and allows some research on it's previous history.

It was one of the first MB's received by the British in 1942, and built up from CKD at Stirling Tramworks in Scotland. It was rebuilt at least once during the war, the M1550911 serial number is it's last wartime number. Numbers starting M15XXXXX were allocated to rebuilds. It was rebuilt again in the early 1950's, and finally sold off in 1959, 17 years in service wasn't bad (-:

1660336707605.png

Yes 'Barn Find' WW2 items in themselves are getting harder to find. But twenty years ago, I can remember seeing hundreds of WW2 delivery mileage 'War Reserve Stock' GMC's being cut for the wheels and axles (to make carts in India). The cold war had ended, and there was just too much available for anyone to preserve.

Best Regards,

Adrian

A friend found a pattern 2 version, literally in a barn) within the last 6 weeks.
It has already changed hands twice, between local friends,
I will ask the current custodian (for the moment at least) re. the serial number.

If you read the thread it does exist and another member here bought it. As others have said there are more Pattern one bikes out there and I’m sure a few are in original condition. It may be worth $5k to you but my money says a $2k bike tops. V/r Shawn

If you read the thread it does exist and another member here bought it. As others have said there are more Pattern one bikes out there and I’m sure a few are in original condition. It may be worth $5k to you but my money says a $2k bike tops. V/r Shawn
Yes, that is what determines price. A bike that is 99.5% untouched, complete and original, found in a barn and non original put together bikes with different parts will fethh different prices. Also knowing the difference between a Pattern One and a pattern two. there were only 1,000 pattern one bikes built. Can't be that many P1's around that are untouched and 99.5% original. I'd like to find another completely original true pattern one bike that is for sale. Not one thta is close or a piece of of bike. the whole bike original, that us what i am looking to compare.

Back