When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a frame or bike that the seller refuses to share the serial numbers?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dra

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Altered serial numbers are only done for one reason well maybe two. To make it something it’s not. Look at fender and Gibson guitars. I’ll sell you a bluebird I have 2,500 of them with the same number but who cares

On some bicycle purchases, I find out what the serial number is when I open the box, inspection upon delivery.
The sales were never contingent upon what the actual serial numbers were, or whether or not they were findable or legible.
On some bikes/frames, I still can’t find a serial number, and do not know what some found serials might specifically mean. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/elgin-cardinal.202327/

Last edited:
I have a cherry flying cloud I believe it’s a 1923 and from the original owner

3745FA8B-03EA-4360-B57B-88B4BC1902C9.jpeg

I think I’ll just buy another frame and put all the stuff off the bike I bought that has altered numbers and list it for sale. Wait isn’t that what people do to their neighbors 1967 vette

The scratched-up flying cloud serial might start with an M for ~1935; sometimes in person inspection is better than internet photos, for trying to read serials.
For 2 bikes at the same price, I would prefer the one with the serials still intact.
I might value a less-common 28" Shelby motorbike over a more-common Westfield-built (Sears Elgin), but then I already have Westfield & Elgin motorbikes.

In Shelby’s application for the flying cloud trademark 652,552— Shelby professed use since on or about June 1, 1934.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/early-shelby-flying-could-badge.200983/#post-1366102

Last edited:
This bike came off of eBay he also had a 1890’s chainless rambler and a complete unrestored Hawthorne but parts are parts he was selling for his in-laws. Also some nos single tube tires but everyone is super stoked but the original owner wow man why not have another bud Shelby bought flying cloud may 23,1923

Would you chance buying this bike frame on eBay without a picture of the numbers #255085451830 and the guy I got the flying cloud from is fe4de

Back