When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a frame or bike that the seller refuses to share the serial numbers?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wouldnt care honestly....My cycle truck serial number is so rusted we had to date it by the features and same with my 52 B6. I guess if there was a phantom frame I was looking at and wanted to make sure it was pre 55 MAYBE I would care but most likely wouldnt since I can tell by the color style etc.

Wouldnt care honestly....My cycle truck serial number is so rusted we had to date it by the features and same with my 52 B6. I guess if there was a phantom frame I was looking at and wanted to make sure it was pre 55 MAYBE I would care but most likely wouldnt since I can tell by the color style etc.
Both my Stingray and a Cycle Truck I inherited had poor serial number stamping. Who ever the guy was doing these two was a weakling or didn’t know how to use the stamping machine. Had to use chalk to finally get the numbers.

The Schwinn Twins always show up with part of the serial number welded over and I've seen a few prewar Schwinns that had the numbers with welds over the numbers. One recently showed up here were the original stamping was covered by the welds and it was re-stamped by hand with a second serial number starting with an X.

Sure. There’s always some concern that someone’s gonna try and screw you over by claiming it’s theirs and stolen or something.
And it might very well be "theirs or stolen or something". Who knows the full provenance of most old bikes?

Back