When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you consider this original

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

original or custom

• Original

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Custom

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters
In the car collector world it would be called a Krate "tribute" bike: http://www.myhotcars.com/1971-plymouth-cuda-hemi-tribute-c-952.htm

I don't think the car world analogy holds here. In the car world I can generally distinguish if the car was,in fact, an original hemi 'Cuda by VIN, fender tags, etc... whereas on a bicycle the serial is not related to model or trim level. If I restore a Phantom that left the factory that way and a '54 cantilever frame with real Phantom parts when I'm finished which is a 'tribute' and which is real? V/r Shawn

Just like in the automotive world you have made a clone. Who knows what people will say in the future, automotive clones were looked down on when it first started in that hobby but now they are accepted by collectors as long as you are up front about it being a clone and dont represent it as an original.

I like the term collector built pea picker as it refers to the bike as being a pea with original parts but may not have left the factory as a pea in this case having not. I agree that the car analogy does not hold here as serial numbers on car parts and a string of paper work follow the car until it's scraped. Whereas the only papers available are the year it was built and if the stem bars and crank are stamped matching

I would call it a "clone" or a "tribute". Both terms indicate, nicely, that it's not an original, and are up front about it. In my opinion, the term "collector built pea picker" might be taken as a real Pea Picker that the collector restored or assembled (built). Of course, none of these descriptions usually come into play unless you are selling it, then it's all about representation. Nice looking bike, looks like you did a very thorough job!

Just like in the automotive world you have made a clone. Who knows what people will say in the future, automotive clones were looked down on when it first started in that hobby but now they are accepted by collectors as long as you are up front about it being a clone and dont represent it as an original.
that,s what I say it a clone not factory stock

I'd say it would be the same as the dealer riding a new bike around then block and selling it as used so he can provide the customer with the modifications that he or she desired at the time. Because I understand that scenario happened BITD, I give yours the same check mark on original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It ain't original if Schwinn didn't build it this way. I'd also call it a "clone" or "tribute"
Or, just call it what it is,
"a Stingray that has been transformed into a Pea Picker using original Schwinn parts"

i get the car comparison. how many guys in the 60s and 70s and still now will take a 60s pontiac lemans and "upgrade" it to be a GTO.
just one example, but its been happening for over 80 years w/ cars, motorcycles, and bicycles.
guys want to upgrade their ride w/ custom, aftermarket, or high end parts or factory upgrades.
always have, always will.
i'm in the camp that if the bike(or anything) didnt leave the factory that way it's not original.
yes i know that schwinn had a lot of factory offered dealer upgrades going back many years.
you could get a low end bike w/ high end componants if you wanted...often dealer installed.

my point is you can call it whatever you want as long as you dont fib about it....as long as you want to keep it for yourself.
if you want to take it to a show and pass it off as orig most everyone will believe it.
i would. it's a nice bike.
if you wanted to sell it and listed it as orig and was asking "original" price?
i dunno about that.
like i said. it's a good looking bike and maybe close to correct, but its only original once.

clone? maybe. custom? maybe. tribute? maybe.
i dunno. call it what makes you happy.
never fib or lie about what your ride is...someone more knowledgeable or some jerk ass will call ya out.
that's all i can say. always be honest. it'll let ya sleep easier at night.

Dammit! this wasnt a rant, and i'm sorry it was so long. i hope this was a gentle answer. it was ment to be.

I wouldn't call it "original," because it's not. You built it (and did a great job,) but it's not original.

If all the parts (including the frame) came out of the same box and you just put it together now, then it'd be original.

If it was a real pea picker frame and you could confirm it, it would be a "restored bike using all original parts."

There's no grey area.

Back