When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you consider this original

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

original or custom

• Original

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Custom

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters
Myself, I would call it a Pea Picker (and a darn nice one!). But I would not call it an original.

JimK

When dealing with collector cars the term CORRECT is used since many of the parts have been changed. So it's said that this car is an Original Correct numbers matching 69 Boss 302 Mustang. Meaning the car is not a clone and obviously many of the parts have been replaced with factory correct replacements.
I LMAO when someone says that the bike they are selling is 100% original except for the tires. How the heck do they know? I would rather see "This is an original Pea Picker with all the factory correct components."
No lying involved but when I say original and can back the original up I state that 'this' is original except and name what I think is not.

If there aren't any distinguishing features to suggest otherwise, I'd say it's a Pea Picker built from factory original parts.
Twenty years from now, it will be considered an original bike.
For the guys in the know now, it's up to them whether or not they consider it to be an original Pea Picker.
I agree with Abe, that now that we know that it wasn't originally issued as a Pea Picker, it's a collector built Pea Picker.
With that said, you did an outstanding job, and I'm sure that had to be a labor of love.
It's a spectacular bike.
Wow, Marty nailed it! Well put good buddy.
Whatever you call it now, it will be a original survivor in the not to distant future or a couple owners down the road. Lmao, great topic and really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on the subject.
I have dealt with this many times being a car dealer here in socal. The most recent case that comes to mind was taking 1995 1996 Chevy Caprice and adding the Impala SS appearance package. There was a time in the early 2000's when that conversion would add a extra 10k to the price wholesale. The Vin number is the same on both cars so no way to tell the difference.
Also dealt with this on plety of Chevelle's, El Camino's, and Camaro's form the 60's and 70's.
Good times! [emoji1] [emoji106]

No lying involved but when I say original and can back the original up I state that 'this' is original except and name what I think is not.
Saying original implies it came from the factory that way and is misleading. Better to be up front and call it a clone made with original Schwinn parts.

I have dealt with this many times being a car dealer here in socal. The most recent case that comes to mind was taking 1995 1996 Chevy Caprice and adding the Impala SS appearance package. There was a time in the early 2000's when that conversion would add a extra 10k to the price wholesale. The Vin number is the same on both cars so no way to tell the difference.

The '94-'96 Impala SS was option code WX3, and that option should appear on the SPID (Service Parts ID) label on the underside of the decklid (trunk). No "WX3" code there and it's not a real SS: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/10-caprice/274943-build-sheet-location.html#post2679000

attachment.jpg

I had a 96 impala. Loved it. Found out it had a governor at 155mph. Got it chipped, new throttle bodies, better exhaust.

Dunno how fast it was, because the speedo numbers only went to 160, but the needle went passed that.

Came home one night and it wasn't in my driveway. Got stolen, found months later in arizona. Cops wouldn't release it because it was used in a crime.

I figure the cops kept it for themselves, or it was full of bullet holes and blood.

Best car I ever had.

And this post has nothing to do with the thread topic. :)

This seems to be similar to b6 frames being used for phantoms issue....as the frames are the same ....unless paperwork exists to prove what the bike started as....t
he real history may get lost with time.....best to be honest and call it a rad custom....if i didnt know any better id call it a crate....still a bad to the bone schwinn

Well if the Internet says so then it is definitely true.....[emoji12]

Fortunately I *know* it's true. I ordered one new from the factory, visited the factory in Arlington TX on the very last day of production and saw in person the very last '96 Impala SS come off the line. As with any collectible (especially expensive ones), knowledge is power... :)

But back to the topic, I sincerely hope that the OP wouldn't ever try to pass off a "clone" or "tribute" as an original, even though that unlike a car like the '94-'96 Impala SS he could probably get away with it.

Back