Wow - home made steam-powered vintage bike at estate sale

This ad disappears when logged in

charnleybob

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 30, 2009
Omaha, United States
I run boilers for a living.
That is scary and would be dangerous.
The square tank would contain water and the combustion (firebox) would be the contraption on the bottom, that would heat the water by using a propane bottle which would sit on the round platform on the left side.
The silvery stuff is probably insulation to keep the tank as warm as possible for steam and to, in theory, keep the rider from burning his nuts off.
The weight and imbalance, not mentioning the chance for a fiery episode, would make this one awkward, but memorable ride.

Trout

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 30, 2017
Washington State, USA
I run boilers for a living.
That is scary and would be dangerous.
The square tank would contain water and the combustion (firebox) would be the contraption on the bottom, that would heat the water by using a propane bottle which would sit on the round platform on the left side.
The silvery stuff is probably insulation to keep the tank as warm as possible for steam and to, in theory, keep the rider from burning his nuts off.
The weight and imbalance, not mentioning the chance for a fiery episode, would make this one awkward, but memorable ride.
Steampunk steam power! I thought this was awesome until the burn your nuts off part. Now it hurts just to look at it.

Boris

Fat tired old rider
Feb 16, 2008
Portland, OR 97206
I don't know if I'd go as far as labeling it's creator a psychopath, but this person obviously could not tell the difference between right and wrong.

Last edited:

Miyata FL.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 26, 2015
Orlando FL.
Looks like she has all the right pieces to go choo.. choo.. too bad its not on a toc frame of some sort nevertheless its a cool looking steam bike my respect to the builder he found out what bicycle freedom is all about. Cheers.

Last edited:

OldSkipTooth

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 6, 2015
Sebastopol, United States
That is just flat out psycho! Reminds me of the 60’s hippy that cut the roof off a yellow school bus, only to begin building walls and a roof from 2x4’s so the bus looked like a house. He couldn’t finish because the weight of the added lumber and roofing sagged the bus to the ground!

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Not too crazy, at least he'd the sense enough to use a late 40's-early 50's Schwinn:

1.jpg

And what is this here, I can't make out the graphics but is that an 60's-70's Paramount?? It's sure got chrome in the right places to be one. . Or maybe not? Regardless me tinks it's chrome molly light steel, racer of some type, prob., if you're in Saint Louie, screwy, worth seeing up close and personal.

1.jpg

Bonus points, what's this race bike hiding behind the other too? For a potential Schwinn lover guy, an 80's paramount?

1.jpg

Last edited:

66TigerCat

I live for the CABE
Jul 12, 2009
Newton, MA, United States
It's a Raleigh, probably a Grand Prix. That does look like a Phil Wood front hub though.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
It's a Raleigh, probably a Grand Prix. That does look like a Phil Wood front hub though.

Yeah, nice call Tiger, and it makes more sense on the graphics, potentially a late 70's. And, for the same type of racks, 'The Gov' was a traitor too, [grin] they're proby both Raleighs.

Last edited:

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Here's a thing; I wonder how he did his "hand gliding" always stuck hand out car widows gliding em in the wind? :p Rode his bikes wit one hand while the other was gliding in the wind? :grin:

Sevenhills1952

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 20, 2018
US
Left out the part where he roasted his own nuts.
That's when he stopped the hand gliding.

Curious if he ever actually rode the bike. That's a spooky looking cellar, hope they don't find any bones down there.
Then wonder what everything will bring at auction?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture