When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wright Brothers and W.F.Meyers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

shoe3

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
Screenshot_20171019-203631.png

1909 era The Wright Brothers sold the contents of 1127 West Third Dayton,Ohio Cycle Shop to W.F.Meyers of Dayton,Ohio. Meyers had been in the cycle business for years in Dayton,Ohio. He also was granted use of the Wright Brothers namebadge that was used on the St.Clair, VanCleve & Wright Special by the Wright Brothers they had built and sold. Meyers badge W.F.Meyers on it in place of Wright. The bicycle were built by Davis Sewing Machine with Meyers badges on them.He sold Iver Johnson and other makes until 1939. He was struck by a automobile after stepping off a trolley. He died Dec.15 1939. Shop closed in 1940.

img211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 694883 1909 era The Wright Brothers sold the contents of 1127 West Third Dayton,Ohio Cycle Shop to W.F.Meyers of Dayton,Ohio. Meyers had been in the cycle business for years in Dayton,Ohio. He also was granted use of the Wright Brothers namebadge that was used on the St.Clair, VanCleve & Wright Special by the Wright Brothers they had built and sold. Meyers badge W.F.Meyers on it in place of Wright. The bicycle were built by Davis Sewing Machine with Meyers badges on them.He sold Iver Johnson and other makes until 1939. He was struck by a automobile after stepping off a trolley. He died Dec.15 1939. Shop closed in 1940.TOP PICTURE IS W.F.MEYERS BADGED DAVIS SEWING MACHINE WHO PRODUCED DAYTON BICYCLES View attachment 694855

Does anyone here owns one of those bikes??

My 1917 W.F. Meyer machine is built using a Davis RACING Frame and a Fauber Special
crank unit featuring ''pencil''- size cranks. The chainring is a highly refined ''6-bubble''
variety. The Meyer aluminum I.D. tag is stamped ''357'' as is the frame at the seat cluster.
The instructions on the one-inch long tag ask a potential ''finder'' of the machine to return
the bicycle to the W.F. Meyer store.

The fork is not a Davis-Built .. but rather, a single-plate fork crown design ... same as featured
on Iver Johnson machines. Don't forget, Meyer was a distributor of Iver Johnson.

Strange but true ... I acquired the Wright's-Patent racing hub with a feature on the cog that
allows the rear cog to be placed to the left or to the right ... so there is as close to perfect
alignment with the chainring via the chain. The Wright Hub featured below is in a much-less
pristine condition ... than the specimen I got from shoe3.

These hubs featured tapered, roller-bearings.

Shoe3 (Phil S.) found the entire rear hub in a box of ancient bicycle hubs ... in the boneyard
of MLC ... when it was located in Perrysburg, Ohio .... alotta years ago. Thank you, again, Phil
for participating in a trade with me.

Got the badge from Mel Short ... in trade for a 1919 H-D N.O.S Motorcyke battery-tank. Mel
knew where the badge was ... in Greenville, Ohio ... owned by a fellow Wheelman.

...... patric

This Page Is From The Catalog Of 1900.

Wright_Bicycles_Page_5.jpg

Wright_Bicycles_Page_6  copy.jpg

88144826 wright hub.jpg

88144827 wright hub.jpg

88144828 wright hub.jpg

88144829 wright hub.jpg

wright w.f. meyer  ... foto barracuda.jpg

DSCF1027 w.f. meyer.jpg

DSCF1011  w.f. meyer.jpg

DSCF1024 w.f. meyer.jpg

DSCF1021 w.f. meyer.jpg

DSCF1015  w.f. meyer.jpg

DSCF1013 w.f. meyer.jpg

DSCF0988  w.f. meyer.jpg

HD Tank master copy.jpg

1919 Model 419 opt. battery tank mel short.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot_20171019-203631.png
View attachment 694883 1909 era The Wright Brothers sold the contents of 1127 West Third Dayton,Ohio Cycle Shop to W.F.Meyers of Dayton,Ohio. Meyers had been in the cycle business for years in Dayton,Ohio. He also was granted use of the Wright Brothers namebadge that was used on the St.Clair, VanCleve & Wright Special by the Wright Brothers they had built and sold. Meyers badge W.F.Meyers on it in place of Wright. The bicycle were built by Davis Sewing Machine with Meyers badges on them.He sold Iver Johnson and other makes until 1939. He was struck by a automobile after stepping off a trolley. He died Dec.15 1939. Shop closed in 1940.TOP PICTURE IS W.F.MEYERS BADGED DAVIS SEWING MACHINE WHO PRODUCED DAYTON BICYCLES View attachment 694855
My 1917 W.F. Meyer machine is built using a Davis RACING Frame and a Fauber Special
crank unit featuring ''pencil''- size cranks. The chainring is a highly refined ''6-bubble''
variety. The Meyer aluminum I.D. tag is stamped ''357'' as is the frame at the seat cluster.
The instructions on the one-inch long tag ask a potential ''finder'' of the machine to return

The fork is not a Davis-Built .. but rather, a single-plate fork crown design ... same as featured
on Iver Johnson machines. Don't forget, Meyer was a distributor of Iver Johnson.

Strange but true ... I acquired the Wright's-Patent racing hub with a feature on the cog that
allows the rear cog to be placed to the left or to the right ... so there is as close to perfect
alignment with the chainring via the chain. The Wright Hub featured below is in a much-less

Shoe3 (Phil S.) found the entire rear hub in a box of ancient bicycle hubs ... in the boneyard
of MLC ... when it was located in Perrysburg, Ohio .... alotta years ago. Thank you, again, Phil

Got the badge from Mel Short ... in trade for a 1919 H-D N.O.S Motorcyke battery-tank. Mel
knew where the badge was ... in Greenville, Ohio ... owned by a fellow Wheelman.

...... patric

View attachment 694987

View attachment 695023

View attachment 694978

View attachment 694979

View attachment 694980

View attachment 694981

View attachment 694965

View attachment 694968

View attachment 694970

View attachment 694971

View attachment 694972

View attachment 694974

View attachment 694975

View attachment 694977

View attachment 694997

View attachment 695000
THANKS PATRIC COOL STUFF. WHEN W.F. Meyers died in 1939 his son Raymond sold shop and inventory for $852 only 4 bicycles were left and misc. parts and tools. It is not known who shop contents were sold to at this point.

...... patric

View attachment 695000

Thank you Patric, very cool story. Thanks for sharing it.
Here's a photo of that 6 bubble chain ring that is for sale now. It belongs to a cabe member I think.

s-l1600.jpg

Back