When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wright Brothers Day

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was invited to participate in the 6th annual Wright Brothers Day held on October 5th, 2016, at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio. This event celebrates how the innovative spirit of the Wright Brothers is shown in today’s history and innovations from Wright State and the local area. Because I own an 1897 Wright Era bicycle, they wanted me to display it at the event. The original Wright Brothers bikes are too valuable to bring out. (5 known surviving bicycles made by the Wright Brothers are known to exist) My bike is very close to theirs in appearance. The Wright era bicycle that I brought to the event is an 1897 Gormully & Jeffery Rambler Light Roadster Model 19 built during the height of the bicycle craze in American. The Wright Brothers repaired and sold bicycles similar to this one. Most of the bicycles of this period had spoon brakes, wooden rims and single tube tires. The coaster brake was in general use by the early 1900’s. My restored Chicago-made bicycle features spear-point reinforcing on the frame and fork, brazed flared tubing, wrap-around head-badge, a reversible seat post, and original cork grips. Originally, it had a rare foot-operated spoon brake mounted on the fork which was removed. An Eclipse coaster brake (patent 1908) was installed early in the bicycle’s history. Gormully & Jeffery Mfg. Co. (1878-1900) sold its bicycle business and then evolved making the Rambler automobile and then became American Motors Corporation (AMC).

The two men in the picture are portraying the Wright Brothers. There has never been found a picture of either of the Wright Brothers on a bicycle or standing near a bicycle. Well, I am lucky that I have a depiction of the impossible.
View attachment 373911
Man - such a cool thread and so many amazing responses. Thanks for starting the thread and sharing the story. - Nate

Were the Wright brothers first? Not in Brazil

I’m an expat currently living in Brazil…and here, theres much disagreement about the title of who was "first to fly an airplane."

In Brasil, it's widely believed that Alberto Santos-Dumont, a Brazilian preceded the Wright Brothers in demonstrating the first powered, manned controlled aircraft in 1906. The Wright Bros didn’t publicly demonstrate their plane's flight until two years later in 1908!

As stated earlier in this thread…the Wright Bros were extremely secretive. tight-knit, working on their airplane the Wright Flyer. These two bachelors lived at home with the wealthy parents. Which in turn allowed them financial support to indulge in their inventions and dedicate themselves to projects and aeronautical experimentations without constraints or money concerns. They kept everything they did close and under wrap. No public displays or announcements. They were meticulous about their ideas and it was important that they first work out any bugs before publicly announcing their creations.

This surreptitious behavior almost cost them the title “the first to fly.”

You see at the turn of the century, there was a worldwide race amongst would-be inventors to become the first to power and manned an aircraft!

Santos-Dumont, a flamboyant Brazilian playboy, also an heir to a wealthy family of coffee producers was living in Paris, building and experimenting with hot air balloons and dirigibles! There are photos of him tying his dirigible to the Effle tower so that he could breakfast at the local Parisian restaurants.

Anyway, Dumont entered an air competition in Paris in 1906. His entry was a winged aircraft powered by an engine. It had two wheels under its carriage, and he controlled and operated the plane in a seated position. His aircraft successfully lifted off and flew about 200 feet and safely landed. This demonstration was held in front of hundreds of spectators who witnessed man's first flight! Thus earning Santos-Dumont the winner of the competition, the talk of the town and the celebrity status as the first man to successfully fly!

However back in the US, the Wright Bros were diligently working on their Flyer, their noses to the grind stone, continuing to tinker, when they got word of Dumont’s flight! It wasn’t until 1908 that they finally felt ready to reveal and announce their plane. They invited the public and the press to witness their flight. This was two years after Dumont’s documented flight!

So, why wasn’t Dumont credited first to fly? The answer...a photograph!

As mentioned earlier, the Wright Bros were notorious for keeping their projects secretive. On the morning of Dec. 17, 1903, the Wright Bros with the help of 3 assistants took their Flyer out to the beach at Kitty Hawk, N.C. for a test flight. Their plane looked more like a glider, with the pilot laying on his belly. It's interesting that the Wrights with their long experience with bicycles never managed to incorporate wheels on their plane. Which meant for their plane to get aloft, they had to devise a long rail and the Flyer was catapulted into the air! So it didn't lift off by itself, but it did fly for about 200 ft. Fortunately on that day, Orville Wright's had the foresight to bring along a camera and gave it to a young man who had never seen a camera before. Orville instructed the young man on how to operate the camera and to document a historical moment, including preserving a record for any future patent claims.

Although Santos-Dumont had publicly demonstrated his flight capabilities to hundreds of witnesses and winning that flight competition in 1906...it was that darned photograph of the Wright's test flight taken 3 years earlier in 1903 that secured the Wright's as the true winners!

Last edited:

The Demoiselle was my favorite of all the early flying machines.
Alberto Santos Dumont was way ahead in practical design.

I built a flying model when I was a kid, and always dreamed of building a full scale replica.
Can you imagine what it was like flying over Paris in 1907?
Talk about scoring on the French babes.
Sure, I’ll give you a ride in my flying machine.
You’d be the Man!

There was a wright cycle in an airplane museum here in central Florida, the museum closed , all the items have been in storage over 30 years , the museum is now a church of some sort , yes the cycle I am writing about is authentic , real ,correct , whatever you want to call it , it had 1-inch pitch chain on it , not skip tooth , so it might be flubbed up ,

I noticed the Fauber chain ring sprockets in a couple of the pictures; by the position or orientation of the cranks, it looks like the same version of the 3-arm sprocket, with the drive pins in one of the 3-arms.
I had thought that that was a later design; perhaps two of the 1911 or later bicycles.

Last edited:
Back