When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wright saddle

-
A secondary brand to Brooks??I think not!
I'm with you all the way on that one... Brooks are my last choice... not because of build quality, but they're as cliche as Raleigh are. Because they're so common everyone thinks they must be 'the' brand to own, where in fact almost every make here in the UK were better, just not as well equiped for mass production! I can't fault Brooks, don't get me wrong, but for me a Lycett or Wrights always looks and feels a lot better.

The 'secondary brand' line though was actually stated by some Brooks supervisor guy through their company website, not my opinions. I think his wording was along the lines of "Brooks had to think carefully about which saddles were best, and because Wrights used slightly inferior leather they were turned into the secondary brand". Two things can be said about that statement... firstly, working that high up in the bicycle industry obviously meant that the person in charge of making that decision was a high earner and was more likely a car driver than a bike rider so didn't actually know what he was talking about... and secondly, Brooks were the bigger name of the two at the time.

In my opinion, Phillips were amongst the best bikes in the UK... not the most advanced, not the most attractive, but robust, did the job. By 1960 they were turned into Raleigh's economy brand... same with Wrights. So yep, totally agree, Wrights were the better saddles, but some suit sitting in an office in Birmingham 60 years ago obviously thought differently :rolleyes:

well then in the end im happy i picked it up for 5 dollers thanks all for the info

That's a good point. Prices. The only Wrights I've had dealings with are the type you see on my bikes, most band on the bikes, but the one on the 1950 I paid about £20 ($36) for. In good condition that's about a ballpark figure for that type, so you've definitely had a bargain either way :)

Back