When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wtb 1935 schwinn cycleplane tank remake/metal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
thanks for comments-certainly gives me thought/input. I do see the 'negative' side to a repro-no matter how nice. but I also I see guys/gals finally getting their dream bike. once you have the tank and frame-you have the bike-the rest is easy and available(somewhat!). and there has to be great demand as the investment is staggering! I could easily buy my dream bike or two with the money which will be tied up making the tanks. its just something i'd like to do-its fun and it promotes the hobby. keep the comments/input coming!

I see it as a double-edged sword; if you do something deliberately to differentiate it from the real thing it would certainly identify it as a repo on the other hand that would be the thing that would keep people from purchasing it. John has been making some fantastic, dead on stuff in the last few years which, if not by now, certainly in the future will be sold as the real deal. I haven't heard a lot about that? I say if make them stay true to the original and make them as accurate as possible. V/r Shawn

Having a built in difference that's only visible from the inside of the tank that would not detract from looking like an original tank from the outside could be done.
A small cutout on one half of the tank that couldn't easily be hidden and a stamped ID would work.
No need to have it mistaken or sold as an original in the future.

I'd be in for the gilled version.
that is the tank I would make this time if there is enough interest( enough interest is the key!). it makes sense to do the gilled tank as it cuts out the need for the pancake horns and the curved lower bar frames are more plentiful-either way- with truss or springer front end an awesome bike! thanks for interest.

Only buy original paint bikes.

Expect "restored" bikes to be done with reproduction parts or damaged goods. Who needs shiny anyhow?

That's what I do. Do what YOU want.

Chad

Only buy original paint bikes.

Expect "restored" bikes to be done with reproduction parts or damaged goods. Who needs shiny anyhow?

That's what I do. Do what YOU want.

Chad
i'd buy original....if you can one find these days! and getting a bike painted and chromed-what a hassle- I have done that too!

I completely agree with the desire to only get original items for these motorbikes, but I rarely see these tanks come available and I always prefer metal (I wont even consider fiberglass). My desire to get this tank would be to complete a cycleplane I have and then eventually upgrade to a final OG one.

I do respect your point of view. however I have never thought about it as being a 'fake'. ask people who got one of my tanks (although many probably won't admit it) or have seen one and they will tell you it was a flawless copy/reproduction-the way a 'reproduction' should be. its not about being deceptive but providing a high quality reproduction item for the hobby.

There are shysters that will sell your tanks as real. I don't care what the material, fake is fake. Fiberglass fakes are great because they fill the need you mention but aren't passable as real.

I got burned by one of your tanks about 10-12 years ago. The guy I bought it from got burned too and he shared the pain and gave me half the difference in price back.

Please don't make them. I appreciate you reaching out, it's a free country so best of luck whatever you decide. But understand that if I were a rich man I would buy every one you made and destroy them.

Last edited:
Back