When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found WTB a Star Highwheeler.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Found one! Thanks for all the help! I couldn't have done it without my fellow CABE members help!
View attachment 957943
If you have a ridable 1891-1892 Star High wheeler (would prefer one with rear ball bearings) Thanks for your time.
Sweet! We want to see pics of you riding it.
Here is Mike @TR6SC riding something similar; to me anyway....:flushed:
IMG_8491.JPG

-----

Had the opportunity to ride an American Star lever drive machine owned by a collector friend.

It is an interesting experience as the rider can either operate the levers in an alternating rhythmic fashion or drive both at once for a propulsion burst.

IIRC my friend stated that his example hailed from the 1900-1902 time.

-----

Last edited:
The rear wheels of the STAR didn't use ball bearings but rather used double row roller bearings on each side of the hub.
You can spot a STAR that has roller bearings by the enlarged portion behind each rear hub spoke flange which houses these bearings.
Early AMERICAN STARS have parallel bearings front and rear meaning hardened axles fitting a simple bored hole in each hub.
As STARS progressed, and with different models, ball bearings came into use on front wheels and roller bearings were introduced for rear wheels.
In STAR literature you could order a STAR with upgraded rear wheel roller bearings for an additional $10..... BIG MONEY in those days!
Mike Cates, CA.

Back