When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB adjustable steel stem

-

labile

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello there,

looking to buy an adjustable steel stem (and handlebars clamp) like this one (minimum lenght 18cm from expander bolt to edge)

Is that one a Titan?
There are brass knuckles, steel knuckles and aluminum knuckles.
Not a Titan, even if the shape is pretty the same (this was the "standard" shape for adjustable style stems back in the 20s/30s/40s)

Not a Titan, even if the shape is pretty the same (this was the "standard" shape for adjustable style stems back in the 20s/30s/40s)
Right. Im familiar with the Titan and Dural versions.
US we call these track stems. These are for sale here quite often.
Also search in the "for sale" posts using the words "track stem, racing stem or track quill, racing quill
Good Luck

Right. Im familiar with the Titan and Dural versions.
US we call these track stems. These are for sale here quite often.
Also search in the "for sale" posts using the words "track stem, racing stem or track quill, racing quill
Good Luck
Yes, I've seen some of them, but I've not find any in the right lenght I'm looking for (which is intended for a stayer purpose, not for a standard track bike)

It looks like the one in your pic has the stem shortened.
Not for sale, but my Schwinn / Dural is 18.5cm from the top of the bolt head to the bottom of the stem, with
13cm adjust tube reach.
Just for reference.

It looks like the one in your pic has the stem shortened.
Not for sale, but my Schwinn / Dural is 18.5cm from the top of the bolt head to the bottom of the stem, with
13cm adjust tube reach.
Just for reference.
yes, it could have been shortened.
Anyway I'm looking for a minimun of 18cm adjust tube reach

Could this Not be remade? Looks like it is just pieces of steel tubing & a adjustable brass adapter (the hardest part) ? I would have that welded if it's the length you need ....

Yes, I've seen some of them, but I've not find any in the right lenght I'm looking for (which is intended for a stayer purpose, not for a standard track bike)
I'd take a look at as many period photos of stayers as you can find.
In my experience they are very varied and just modified regular track and/or road bikes with reversed forks and smaller front wheels and relatively upright stems, compared to the steeper geometry of track stems. Although, that being said a very few manufacturers did offer specific models.
Remember that stayers sat far more upright in order to keep their lungs more open for as high an air intake as possible.
In my opinion those extra long stems were frequently homemade, or made on site at the velodromes workshop, so remodelling your example above is not out of the question.

Back