When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB adjustable steel stem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'd take a look at as many period photos of stayers as you can find.
In my experience they are very varied and just modified regular track and/or road bikes with reversed forks and smaller front wheels and relatively upright stems, compared to the steeper geometry of track stems. Although, that being said a very few manufacturers did offer specific models.
Remember that stayers sat far more upright in order to keep their lungs more open for as high an air intake as possible.
In my opinion those extra long stems were frequently homemade, or made on site at the velodromes workshop, so remodelling your example above is not out of the question.
I've more than one stayer bike, mine are from late 30s to early 80s. I've spoken to former pro stayer riders, coaches and mechanics so I'm aware of all the good points you have addressed.
That said I also know that those kind of stems - particularly the one shows in my pic - were frequently custom made by mechanics even if they can also be found in some pre WWII catalogs and they were available in various lenght or cutted to measure.
I'm not really into repro stuff.

I've more than one stayer bike, mine are from late 30s to early 80s. I've spoken to former pro stayer riders, coaches and mechanics so I'm aware of all the good points you have addressed.
That said I also know that those kind of stems - particularly the one shows in my pic - were frequently custom made by mechanics even if they can also be found in some pre WWII catalogs and they were available in various lenght or cutted to measure.
I'm not really into repro stuff.
It would be great to see some photos of your collection sometime.
I know there are many members on here who would appreciate seeing them if you ever care to start a thread on 'Stayers'.
It would maybe bring a few more out into the light of day.
Good luck with your search.

Back