When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Columbia Newsboy w/ integrated rack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

erm799

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm trying to track down a Newsboy Special with the integrated rack, seems like this was a short lived model. I've found a few Fire Bolts, which are closeup front, but this Newsboy came with balloon-tire clearance and the classic Columbia integrated kickstand. Condition is no issue, just the frame is fine. Planning on a full custom build.

Anybody got a lead?

If you're looking to run fenderless, you can fit a 2.25 w tire without an issue on a Firebolt. Just make sure you have nicely trued rims, since the tire will be close on the front fork.

IMG_0698.jpg

Thanks @Bike Magnet, that's great to hear. I hadn't decided on fenders, but kinda wanted to leave it on the table. I'm actually planning on building this with the classic Monark springer because I thought the double leg design would match the double tube rack, so fork wouldn't be an issue. I guess it is time to soul-search on if I really think I'd use the fenders. I noticed I could tuck 27.5x 48mm tires in that frame as well, which might be a cool way to go and opens the door to way nicer tires these days.

You're probably going to hate me for this, but I just picked up the very bike you're looking for at Buddy's Pedal Fest in Pleasant Hill, MO this past weekend. I didn't even know these came in a balloon tire size until I saw this one. There's only one other example of this bike I've seen so far, and I doubt the guy who owns it will sell it. Have you tried browsing Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace? I can let you know if I run across anything like that when I'm browsing those sites.

Like you, I want to do a full custom build with this bike as well. If you want, I can mockup mine with a Monark springer fork and without the fenders if it helps you figure out what you want to do with yours. I could even do a little Photoshopping and digitally bob the fenders if that's something you're thinking about doing. Just let me know what I can do to help you out.

thanks @Bike from the Dead, I just bought a monk fork and mocked it up. It looks pretty dang slick, I gotta say. Even found a photo of someone who did the same thing w/o fenders. I do wish i could tuck a bigger tire, but i think this will work out just fine.

thanks @Bike from the Dead, I just bought a monk fork and mocked it up. It looks pretty dang slick, I gotta say. Even found a photo of someone who did the same thing w/o fenders. I do wish i could tuck a bigger tire, but i think this will work out just fine.
You're welcome! Wait, was it this this photo, or one similar to it?
Also, I take it you already found a Newsboy Special?

It wasn't that- it was on the monark repop fork website. I didn't find a newsboy but I have a Firebolt. It'll take 26x1.9 or 650x48 pretty easy, and that seems like enough to me. I'd still prefer a proper newsboy but I I feel like I should use this while I have it

Back