When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Early 30s 28" Iver Fenders--Bike sold @ Copake 2012 with the fenders

-

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So it took me a few days of swap meets, but I found the project that caught my eye. I purchased it on a whim and I really know nothing of Ivers, but the paint condition and original wheels/tires really grabbed me. I'm thinking it's around '30-32. I got home and 5 minutes of searching turned up an identical bicycle with all the parts that sold at Copake 2012. I referenced a distinct chip in the otherwise minty downtube decal and it's the same bike.

So I will start by asking if anybody knows who purchased this bike to possibly track where the fenders have ended up and if they're just collecting dust somewhere. I'm thinking it got partially parted, but I'd love to track down the fenders because the original paint is just really sharp. The guard, dropstand, and seat/post are missing as well, but those won't be as difficult. If anybody has another pair in stainless or even original black paint, I'd be interested, naturally.

These pictures are from the Copake auction.

Thanks!

14829074-1.jpg

14829089-1.jpg

14829091-1.jpg

Is that guard black or Chrome? If its chrome and you need it, I have one for you. I owe you one ;)

Ah, the one that was on it is black painted. I feel like I see the chrome ones only on the ballooners in the mid-late 30s, so I'd probably want to keep to a painted one. Unless somebody knows they used them earlier. I'm just going off my 2 hours worth of Iver knowledge I've been gathering. Thanks for the offer!

I think this bike is a lot later than it originally let on. I'm thinking it's closer to 1939 since it seems IJ held on to 28" wheels for quite a long time. The earlier singlebar bikes have a hard bend, compared to the smooth roll that this top bar has like the late 30s ballooners. The serial also seems to fall closer in this range being 59xxxx something or other.

Guess I should stick to what I know with future purchases. Missing the parts that it is now, this may be a miss. Paint is excellent, chain is as near NOS as you can get, and the clad faux-grain wheels and Goodyear All-weather tires are very nice. Not a complete bust, but putting it right will put it way over value.

Alright, so despite the fact that it's probably not a financially sound decision, I am going to move forward with getting this one back together. Looking for late 28" Iver Fenders, the more complete the better. Black or chrome is fine. I may consider any color, since black is the easiest to get painted close, but that's if the hunt is proving fruitless.

I'm thinking about going with modern tubular tires and making it into a rider on the clad rims, because they're so nice. I may sell the singletubes that are on it to make back some of the investment. The more I look at them, they may have been NOS before being placed on these. It doesn't look like they have ever been glued on a rim.

I bought that bike at Copake, sold it to Monark Man the following week at MLC as I unloaded it.
I cannot recall what I retained from it other than the bars and the chainguard for my Ivers...I thought I left the fenders on it because I am a balloon guy.
I do not have extra parts lying around except an Iver "28 dropstand/stays/axle bolt I bought a la carte recently, so your search is starting fresh and you'll find what you need, probably within a year.
Chris

I bought that bike at Copake, sold it to Monark Man the following week at MLC as I unloaded it.
I cannot recall what I retained from it other than the bars and the chainguard for my Ivers...I thought I left the fenders on it because I am a balloon guy.
I do not have extra parts lying around except an Iver "28 dropstand/stays/axle bolt I bought a la carte recently, so your search is starting fresh and you'll find what you need, probably within a year.
Chris

Thanks for the info, Chris! That's at least the first piece of the puzzle. I'm a balloon guy at heart too, but something about it spoke to me.

Back