WTF What totally facinating pedal is this??

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

SKPC

I live for the CABE
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
Early gen Crank Bros. A cleat on the shoe pushes the spings' parallel bars apart, then the bars snap onto the cleat. A Looser fit and a tad bit better in mud than traditional clipless pedal. Time also has this design. This candy was an in-betweener pedal with a plastic body around the pedal clips. Not made to last as the bearings went out alot.
Here is a cleat on the bottom of the shoe..
IMG_0203.JPG

Last edited:

SKPC

I live for the CABE
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
Clipless pedals. Crank Bros parallel spring design gave more "float" or twisting motion of your shoe when "clipped in". One of the simplest designs of all, but had it's limitations. I didn't like the loosey-goosey feeling of them when I ran them for a bit, especially when standing up hauling-a! My foot came off the pedal once when haulin, so I got rid of em. You could not change the "release tension" on the springs like the other designs. Clipless pedals, if you are unfamiliar with them "connect" you to the bike in a more secure way than a platform pedal. It offers a more accurate and powerful foot-to-pedal-to-wheel stroke, especially with a good stiff shoe. You can ride longer and harder on any bike, and it gives you an "up" stroke as well as you cannot pull the shoe off of the pedal vertically or pull it backward or push it forward either.

Last edited:

Duchess

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 14, 2014
Beverly, MA
Yes, "clipless" as a shortsighted reference to not having toe clips, but meant to achieve a similar purpose. "Locking", "Clip-in", or even something like "spring pedals" would have been a better name, but here we are. I had the SPD style for my mountain bike before I gave it away and have used it on my road bike. I really like the function of them and you can adjust the tension however you want (I liked them loose for mountain, tighter for road), but I like to cruise around and stop places and found the clickety-clack of the tap-dancing shoes to be too annoying.

Reactions: bricycle and SKPC

Duchess

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 14, 2014
Beverly, MA
Yes, you can get them in all kinds of styles. The ones I got are supposed to have the cleats recessed enough to work like normal shoes, but the cleats still clacked on pavement and made some surfaces slippery. Maybe the expensive ones actually deliver, but they were more money than any shoes I've ever bought except for some dress shoes and since I don't race and don't mountain bike anymore, flat pedals are so much cheaper and more versatile. I did really like them for mountain biking, though—much easier to keep your feet in and get them back on than toe clips and it lets you pull your pedals up as well as push down to get through technical stuff.

Reactions: bricycle

49autocycledeluxe

I live for the CABE
May 29, 2017
fremont california
one thing I found out about clipless pedals is if the chain falls off when downshifting while going up hill it is much more difficult to get your feet out of the pedals and when the bike stops, you fall over.

as for the clickety clack of riding shoes when walking my mountain bike shoes have rubber treads on the bottom and the cleat does not touch the ground. I think MTB shoes have more "walkability" designed into them than road shoes. my road shoes have hard plastic soles and there is no heel on them. very odd to walk in them.

piercer_99

I live for the CABE
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
I pretty much wear the same shoes on all the bikes I ride.

Van's, Sperry's, workboats, running shoes. yep, pretty much whatever I have on my feet when I decide to go for a ride.

razinhellcustomz

I live for the CABE
May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
"Clip-in" makes more sense to me...but seems the correct term is "Clip-less" due to the fact that they do not require toe-clips? I know nothing about them. All my pedals have rubber blocks or rat-traps that tear your shins up.
Mine too. Razin. Ugly F%%%%%kig pedals.

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture