When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW1 Columbia military bike resto questions.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi sam,

I've found that the description you've posted is a good start point for details of the bicycle (and, as far as I'm aware, there is no known official Military specification surviving), but it is for the postwar bike, and certain items have been changed.

I think the biggest is the wheels/tyres. The spec. above gives "Steel cement rims. Morrow coaster brake. Pope concave front hub". As discussed in post s 44-46 here:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1918-dayton-military-bicycle.57698/page-3

the military wheels are single tube clinchers. The coaster brake is a Morrow, but I have only seen 'straight' front hubs on the military wheels, and so far been unable to identify them (does anyone here know? Pope? Eclipse?:(

1918-Columbia-Military-Model-WW1-61 A.jpg

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/world-war-one/1918-ww1-columbia-military-model-u-s-army-issue-usa748/

There may be other changes too. Has anyone confirmed the White pedal rubbers, for example?

Also, there may have been variations in the WW1 Military Model as prewar civilian parts were used up and replaced by wartime parts.

Happy new year. (-:

Adrian

1918-Columbia-Military-Model-WW1-88 A.jpg

I have both types of hubs one is concaved and the other is straight. I never checked to see if there is a stamped name on them. I can supply pics of them and check for the name if any.. the concaved is slightly larger in the shaft size then the straight. the spokes are the same size. As far as the pedals not sure. It seems that black seems to be the norm not sure also the pedal shafts for the bike are slightly larger in diam.

Hi Redline,

Thanks for your thoughts and the offer of checking. There is absolutely no urgency, but if you ever do get the chance to check the hubs, then I'd be interested to know your conclusions.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Here’s what your have none are marked.. two looked like it was originally painted and one nickeled. The hour glass hubs you could park a truck on them. The other is thinner but has the same gauge spokes.
38870580-04A0-4BF0-AB3A-7849883F6272.jpeg
2CEBF454-BE91-436B-929A-162806AC7EB5.jpeg
7FD55BD0-273F-41E7-B424-589A15139FF0.jpeg
63E46B28-9E7D-4D76-BF13-0CC8ABCB2F33.jpeg

Hi Redline,

Thanks for the photos. Interesting that none of them resemble the one from Oldbikes in my post, though I have no doubt all are original.

I have also just privately received photos of another mostly complete Columbia Military Model which turned up in France late last year. This too has a straight front hub. The photo is not too clear, but seems similar to Redline's. I will see if I can get a clearer picture.

The Hourglass ones I imagine are the 'Pope Concave' mentioned in the advert Post 10. The straight ones, I have no idea, but get the feeling they may be earlier, if, as we know, the advert is circa 1920. At least I need not be so prescriptive in my search for a 'correct' front axle.

As an aside, what's with the front fork design that only has holes for the axle, not slots? Why did it take so long for them to figure this was a duff idea? It's not as if the rear wheel wasn't located in slots. I really don't like prising apart 100 year old forks to put the wheel on... (-:

Have a Good Weekend,

Adrian

Last edited:
The hour glass is easier to remove its self contained and the shaft just pulls through the fork hole. Yep removal is a pain if you don’t have the right axle shaft. There is a trick to them. Seems like the Indian was earliest to use the standard forks slots we use today. As far as the dates They are close.
I’m betting m the straight hub that’s what I’m going with.

Hi Catfish,

Interesting, and Thanks for the very informative photo, the first one I've seen of a white Columbia pedal block. Forgive me for asking, is yours a WW1 or postwar Military Model? (I tried searching, but I'm too short of time this morning to read all the conversations on CABE, I really should start listing the Military Models).

Best Regards,

Adrian

I think something that should be talked about is the handle bars---don't the WW1 differ from the WW2 bars at the center----I'm under the impression the WW1 bars used a sleeve and the WW2 bars used a budge.

Back