When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW1 Columbia Military Model original rifle carrying development photos

-

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

I've been continuing my research into WW1 Military Model bicycles, which originally produced this good photo:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ww1-columbia-military-model-poster-child.128408/

I have come up with more excellent portrait photos showing proposed modifications to the bicycle to allow rifles to be carried. The photos were taken by Sgt. Hitz, US Signal Corps on May 31st 1919, so may be related to the photo in the post above because they were taken in the same month. Again, the bicycle is a Columbia, and since this is 1919 the modifications seen may only be one off design proposals.

The modifications to the bike allow the bike to carry both the US M1902 and M1917 rifles. The bike has been photographed from all four sides, giving a good view of the modifications. I have noted some of them, but I'm sure you will see others. I have the original images in a high pixel format, so if there is anything you'd like me to blow up a bit better, please let me know.

I am going to do this in several posts, since there are too many details/photos to keep track of otherwise.

I am happy for you to use this research, but please credit it to Mercian, or Adrian Hardgrave at the CABE. It does take significant time and luck to do.

Thanks, Best Regards,

Adrian

Right view with 1917 rifle

There is only one view with the 1917 rifle, so we'll start with that.

Right 1917 B1.jpg

Immediately obvious is the leather bag on the frame, which appears to be the same type (it may be the same one) as the one on the 'poster child' bike. We now have a far better view of it from both sides. I can't imagine it was made specially for the bike, but have searched US Cavalry equipment etc. of the period, and not found one similar. Suggestions are welcome. The same with the butt holder for the rifle. It is pressed steel with a US pressed into both sides, so unlikely to be a one off prototype, more likely an adaption of an existing part. Again, I have looked at US Army motor vehicles of the period, and not found one yet. The top bracket holding the rifle onto the head tube is likely to be made specially.

Notice the position of the pump, the fitment of a rack, and the Star clips on the pedals. These pedals match the ones on one of Serge's bikes. There is a good shot identifying the saddle as a Troxel too.

Right 1917 C1.jpg

Right 1917 D1.jpg

Also, although this bike is nearly new, the grips have already taken a battering, no wonder it's difficult to find originals.

Right 1917 E1.jpg

Rear view with 1903 rifle

Rear B1.jpg

Again, a good shot of the pedals. The arms on the stand appear very bent, is this to make it flat, or to act as a 'skirt guard' if cycling when wearing a greatcoat? Are the two holes n the rear mudguard intended for a drop stand clip? Perhaps this was an idea tried and rejected.

Rear C1.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this (-;

Hello Adrian;
Thank you for these photos, what i like in you is that you like to share information without secrets, to make things happen.
You are a SUPER awesome guy! ;)
Cheers;
Serge

Amazing pictures! Thank you so much for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back