When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 US Army Service Corps bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All.

@Sven (Thanks) posted this photo in the 'Original old photo's thread.

Since no discussion is allowed there, and you may not have seen it (and by putting it here it's referencable / searchable)

1617776456929.png

I tried to trace the source without success (perhaps someone here knows).

The rider is a Staff Sergeant in the US Army Service Corps. The bike looks like a Utility Lightweight made by Huffman. Possibly 1943 since it doesnt appear to have a chain guard or badge.

There's something strange going on with the grips, perhaps they have a second covering, perhaps he's holding gloves (thiough this seems unlikely given he's in chinos).

Lots of Pyramidal tents in the background.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi Sven,

Thanks for following that up.

Often sellers of photograps are breaking family albums, so it's worth checking the other items they have for sale to see if they come from the same source. Mephotog has two other pictures taken at the same time. Neither have bicycles, but I include them for completeness.

The guys appear to be wearing wings, so perhaps an AAF site? Looking back at the first picture, it's very faded, but he may be wearing wings too.
1617880505789.png

1617880120807.png

Hi @cds2323

Thanks (-:

I should have done that too. Yes, the wings are now obvious, though in a slightly strange position.

Also, the sleeve insignia is now clearer, and is not ASF, but AAF:

1617950859266.png

which makes sense with the wings.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Sven,

Thanks for following that up.

Often sellers of photograps are breaking family albums, so it's worth checking the other items they have for sale to see if they come from the same source. Mephotog has two other pictures taken at the same time. Neither have bicycles, but I include them for completeness.

The guys appear to be wearing wings, so perhaps an AAF site? Looking back at the first picture, it's very faded, but he may be wearing wings too.
View attachment 1387848

View attachment 1387847
Hi @cds2323

Thanks (-:

I should have done that too. Yes, the wings are now obvious, though in a slightly strange position.

Also, the sleeve insignia is now clearer, and is not ASF, but AAF:

View attachment 1388189

which makes sense with the wings.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Excellent detective work

Back